[Culturechat] English Book Exchange of Lucerne

Peter Haggart haggart@uidaho.edu
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 14:34:46 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_00D0_01C1A351.F0929020

Thanks for the information Barbara - we will bring along some books to leave
this summer

Pete
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Barbara Roy
  To: Idyll Untours Culture Chat
  Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2002 10:05 AM
  Subject: [Culturechat] English Book Exchange of Lucerne

  This is a great time of year to stay indoors and
  curl up with a good book.  But, if you have ever
  traveled or lived abroad from the US and searched
  for books or magazines in English, you know they
  are expensive with a mark-up of usually 35-50%.
  If you live abroad and try to order from a US dot
  com company, you end up paying duty and airmail
  postage resulting in an even greater increase over
  usual purchase price. That can really get
  expensive if you are someone for whom reading is a
  major hobby.  One of the best resources for
  anglo- bookophiles (I know this isn't a real word)
  here in central Switzerland is the English Book
  Exchange (EBE), Lucerne.
  Now, in its 20th year of existence, the EBE, a very
  loosely organized group of over 100 members who
  likes to read books written in English, meets ten
  times a year, for about an hour and a half,  at
  the Hotel Seeburg in Lucerne (bus no. 24 to
  Meggen, bus stop "Seeburg" - ample car parking
  space available).   There is no obligation to
  attend every meeting, you can stay a few minutes
  or the full 90, you just turn up when you need and/or
  want to donate books. There are thousands of
  paperbacks (99.9%fiction) to choose from, and you
  may borrow as many as you like for as long as you
  like - within reason! There are also magazines and
  children's books, and for a small rental fee
  videos and DVDs.  The cost of participation is
  just 2 Swiss francs (about $1.20 US)-- each time you
  attend - no membership fees. This sum covers the
  cost of
  sending out newsletters and any surplus goes
  towards new books.
  The "group" meets on the third Friday evening and
  the third Thursday afternoon alternately each
  month, with the exception of July and December
  when there is no Book Exchange. It is not
  compulsory to donate books but the group is
  always grateful for new additions to the stock.
  Likewise, magazines (not more than one year old)
  and children's books are always welcome.
  The group started out originally when a group of
  ex-patriates in search of English books started
  meeting in each others homes and exchanging books.
  Eventually the library grew too large to be
  portable.  The hotel was then owned by an
  Englishman, was frequented by British travelers,
  and became the local group meeting place.  Now,
  the books are in boxes, drawers, and on shelves in
  a hotel storage area next to an old bowling
  alley!!  Once a year, volunteer members spend an
  entire day (I did it last July) alphabetizing the
  books and take a nice long break having
  lunch in the hotel dining room,
  probably eating up any and all earned profit.  A
  Englishwoman who has lived in Switzerland with her
  husband for over 20 years keeps the group going
  and sends out a well written bi-monthly newsletter
  via e-mail or regular mail to all interested parties.
  Last Thursday, I showed up with about 15 paperbacks
  to return or donate and ended up borrowing even
  more.  A sampling of my new prized possessions
  include: "The Fifth Child" (Doors Lessing); "A
  Sight for Sore Eyes" (Ruth Rendell); "The Blind
  Assassin" (Margaret Atwood); "Morning, Noon,
  &Night" (Sidney Sheldon); "Encore Provence" (Peter
  Mayle) and "When We Were Orphans" (Kazuo
  Ishiguro).  The only question now is: where do I
  start?
  In addition to finding plenty to read, the best
  part of the English Book Exchange for me, an
  American living in Switzerland, has been the
  opportunity to meet some very nice people and to
  be part of the culture here.  Living away from the
  USA has its challenges, but it has many benefits
  as well.  As it stands now, I am enjoying and
  appreciating reading more, paying less, and will
  never again take for granted again having
  unconditional access to good reading.
  Happy reading to all!!
  Barbara Roy
  January 22, 2002

  temporarily pause delivery, visit:

------=_NextPart_000_00D0_01C1A351.F0929020

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">Thanks for the information Barbara - =
we will=20
bring along some books to leave this summer</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">Pete</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Dbroy@dplanet.ch href=3D"mailto:broy@dplanet.ch">Barbara =
Roy</A> </DIV>
title=3Dculturechat@untours.com=20
  href=3D"mailto:culturechat@untours.com">Idyll Untours Culture Chat</A> =
</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Tuesday, January 22, 2002 =
10:05=20
  AM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> [Culturechat] English =
Book=20
  Exchange of Lucerne</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>This is a great time of year to stay indoors =
and<BR>curl up=20
  with a good book.&nbsp; But, if you have ever<BR>traveled or lived =
abroad from=20
  the US and searched<BR>for books or magazines in English, you know =
they<BR>are=20
  expensive with a mark-up of usually 35-50%.<BR>If you live abroad and =
try to=20
  order from a US dot<BR>com company, you end up paying duty and=20
  airmail<BR>postage resulting in an even greater increase over<BR>usual =

  purchase price. That can really get<BR>expensive if you are someone =
for whom=20
  reading is a<BR>major hobby.&nbsp; One of the best resources =
for<BR>anglo-=20
  bookophiles (I know this isn't a real word)<BR>here in central =
Switzerland is=20
  the English Book<BR>Exchange (EBE), Lucerne.<BR>Now, in its 20th year =
of=20
  existence, the EBE, a very<BR>loosely organized group of over 100 =
members=20
  who<BR>likes to read books written in English, meets ten<BR>times a =
year, for=20
  about an hour and a half,&nbsp; at<BR>the Hotel Seeburg in Lucerne =
(bus no. 24=20
  to<BR>Meggen, bus stop "Seeburg" - ample car parking<BR>space=20
  available).&nbsp;&nbsp; There is no obligation to<BR>attend every =
meeting, you=20
  can stay a few minutes<BR>or the full 90, you just turn up when you =
need=20
  and/or<BR>want to donate books. There are thousands of<BR>paperbacks=20
  (99.9%fiction) to choose from, and you<BR>may borrow as many as you =
like for=20
  as long as you<BR>like - within reason! There are also magazines=20
  and<BR>children's books, and for a small rental fee<BR>videos and =
DVDs.&nbsp;=20
  The cost of participation is<BR>just 2 Swiss francs (about $1.20 US)-- =
each=20
  time you<BR>attend - no membership fees. This sum covers the <BR>cost=20
  of<BR>sending out newsletters and any surplus goes<BR>towards new=20
  books.<BR>The "group" meets on the third Friday evening and<BR>the =
third=20
  Thursday afternoon alternately each<BR>month, with the exception of =
July and=20
  December<BR>when there is no Book Exchange. It is not<BR>compulsory to =
donate=20
  books but the group is<BR>always grateful for new additions to the=20
  stock.<BR>Likewise, magazines (not more than one year old)<BR>and =
children's=20
  books are always welcome.<BR>The group started out originally when a =
group=20
  of<BR>ex-patriates in search of English books started<BR>meeting in =
each=20
  others homes and exchanging books.<BR>Eventually the library grew too =
large to=20
  be<BR>portable.&nbsp; The hotel was then owned by an<BR>Englishman, =
was=20
  frequented by British travelers,<BR>and became the local group meeting =

  place.&nbsp; Now,<BR>the books are in boxes, drawers, and on shelves =
in<BR>a=20
  hotel storage area next to an old bowling<BR>alley!!&nbsp; Once a =
year,=20
  volunteer members spend an<BR>entire day (I did it last July) =
alphabetizing=20
  the<BR>books and take a nice long break having<BR>lunch in the hotel =
dining=20
  room,<BR>probably eating up any and all earned profit.&nbsp; =
A<BR>Englishwoman=20
  who has lived in Switzerland with her<BR>husband for over 20 years =
keeps the=20
  group going<BR>and sends out a well written bi-monthly =
newsletter<BR>via=20
  e-mail or regular mail to all interested parties.<BR>Last Thursday, I =
showed=20
  up with about 15 paperbacks<BR>to return or donate and ended up =
borrowing=20
  even<BR>more.&nbsp; A sampling of my new prized =
possessions<BR>include: "The=20
  Fifth Child" (Doors Lessing); "A<BR>Sight for Sore Eyes" (Ruth =
Rendell); "The=20
  Blind<BR>Assassin" (Margaret Atwood); "Morning, Noon,<BR>&amp;Night" =
(Sidney=20
  Sheldon); "Encore Provence" (Peter<BR>Mayle) and "When We Were =
Orphans"=20
  (Kazuo<BR>Ishiguro).&nbsp; The only question now is: where do=20
  I<BR>start?<BR>In addition to finding plenty to read, the best<BR>part =
of the=20
  English Book Exchange for me, an<BR>American living in Switzerland, =
has been=20
  the<BR>opportunity to meet some very nice people and to<BR>be part of =
the=20
  culture here.&nbsp; Living away from the<BR>USA has its challenges, =
but it has=20
  many benefits<BR>as well.&nbsp; As it stands now, I am enjoying=20
  and<BR>appreciating reading more, paying less, and will<BR>never again =
take=20
  for granted again having<BR>unconditional access to good =
reading.<BR>Happy=20
  reading to all!!<BR>Barbara Roy <BR>January 22,=20
  =
2002<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>_____________=
__________________________________<BR>This=20
  message was sent by Culturechat.<BR>To reply or send a new message, =
email=20
  to:<BR><A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:Culturechat@untours.com">Culturechat@untours.com</A><BR><B=
R>Visit=20
  the CultureChat archives:<BR><A=20
  =
href=3D"http://mailman.dca.net/pipermail/culturechat/">http://mailman.dca=
.net/pipermail/culturechat/</A><BR><BR>To=20
  unsubscribe, change to digest delivery, or <BR>temporarily pause =
delivery,=20
  visit:<BR><A=20
  =
href=3D"http://mailman.dca.net/mailman/listinfo/culturechat">http://mailm=
an.dca.net/mailman/listinfo/culturechat</A><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML=

------=_NextPart_000_00D0_01C1A351.F0929020--