[Culturechat] Church and community in Europe

Ann Cricchi Ann Cricchi" <acricchi@worldnet.att.net
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 13:40:52 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0048_01C19780.ECD9F680

We were in Italy for a month this past fall on both the Venice and =
Umbria Untours..  We went to a variety of churches on Sunday and were =
rather surprised at the large attendance.  Of course, at St. Mark's in =
Venice and the Basilica in Assisi, we could surmise that many of the =
attendees were tourists but even at an evening weekday mass at St. =
Mark's there were two dozen locals or more.  At another church in =
Venice, where we had difficulty finding a seat at the primary mass on =
Sunday, the congregation appeared to be mostly Venetians. =20

In Umbria the small local church where we went to mass one Sunday was =
quite full.  These were all locals, except us and they knew to come 15 =
min. after the advertised time because the priest had said mass the hour =
before at a neighboring church and it took awhile for him to get to the =
church.  There were older men and women, youngish couples with children =
and a nice choir of mostly teenagers there. Mauro (the farm manager at =
Casale Grande) and his wife (probably in their late 40s) both went to =
early mass nearby on Sundays.  It appeared that church was more a part =
of the Italian way of life than we had assumed.

------=_NextPart_000_0048_01C19780.ECD9F680

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We were in Italy for a month this past =
fall on both=20
the Venice and Umbria Untours..&nbsp; We went to a variety of churches =
on Sunday=20
and were rather surprised at the&nbsp;large attendance.&nbsp; Of course, =
at St.=20
Mark's in Venice and the Basilica in Assisi, we could surmise that many =
of the=20
attendees were tourists but even at an evening weekday mass&nbsp;at St. =
Mark's=20
there were two dozen locals or more.&nbsp; At another church in Venice, =
where we=20
had&nbsp;difficulty finding a seat at the&nbsp;primary mass on Sunday, =
the=20
congregation appeared to be mostly Venetians.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>In Umbria&nbsp;the small local church =
where we went=20
to mass one&nbsp;Sunday&nbsp;was quite full.&nbsp; These were all =
locals, except=20
us and they knew to come 15 min. after the advertised time because the =
priest=20
had said mass the hour before at a neighboring church and it took awhile =
for him=20
to get to the church.&nbsp; There were&nbsp;older men and women, =
youngish=20
couples with&nbsp;children and a nice choir of mostly teenagers=20
there.&nbsp;Mauro (the farm manager at Casale Grande) and his wife =
(probably in=20
their late 40s) both went to early mass nearby on Sundays.&nbsp; It =
appeared=20
that church was more a part of the Italian way of life than we had=20
assumed.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0048_01C19780.ECD9F680--