[Culturechat] Church and community in Europe

Kk5qq@aol.com Kk5qq@aol.com
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 13:11:39 EST

--part1_13d.726fb7c.2965f8db_boundary

Recently I've been in discussion with some friends about churchgoing habits
in the USA vs those in Western Europe.  Surveys show, I believe, that among
those of the Christian faith, a much higher percentage attend regular
services here than in Europe.  Our limited observations over there were that
very few young people attend.  Other than for weddings (and funerals, I
suppose) we saw mainly the ubiquitous old ladies entering the churches.

I would be interested in Vance's views, as well as the observations of all
others about the scene both at home and in Europe, on this. Some questions
that come to mind are:

1.) Is the church truly the social center of a small European village such as
it might be (and certainly was a century ago) in Small Town, America?
2.) What about in the big cities?
3.) Does this differ for predominantly Catholic countries -- or for those
formerly behind the Iron Curtain?
4.) Does much evangelizing go on -- at least among the Protestants?
5.) And, is it thought that some of those Europeans who do attend services of
any sort do so more for social reasons rather than spiritual fulfillment --
as some members of our churches are accused of doing?

Irv Smith
Missouri City TX

--part1_13d.726fb7c.2965f8db_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3 FACE="Bangle" LANG="0">Recently I've been in discussion with some friends about churchgoing habits in the USA vs those in Western Europe.&nbsp; Surveys show, I believe, that among those of the Christian faith, a much higher percentage attend regular services here than in Europe.&nbsp; Our limited observations over there were that very few young people attend.&nbsp; Other than for weddings (and funerals, I suppose) we saw mainly the ubiquitous old ladies entering the churches.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
I would be interested in Vance's views, as well as the observations of all others about the scene both at home and in Europe, on this. Some questions that come to mind are:<BR>
<BR>
1.) Is the church truly the social center of a small European village such as it might be (and certainly was a century ago) in Small Town, America?&nbsp; <BR>
2.) What about in the big cities?&nbsp; <BR>
3.) Does this differ for predominantly Catholic countries -- or for those formerly behind the Iron Curtain?&nbsp; <BR>
4.) Does much evangelizing go on -- at least among the Protestants?&nbsp; <BR>
5.) And, is it thought that some of those Europeans who do attend services of any sort do so more for social reasons rather than spiritual fulfillment -- as some members of our churches are accused of doing?&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
Irv Smith<BR>
Missouri City TX</FONT></HTML>

--part1_13d.726fb7c.2965f8db_boundary--