[Culturechat] Blowing up stuff in CH

Vance Roy gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Sun, 28 Oct 2001 15:52:37 +0100

Today, I saw something admitted that I had known a long time. This
information is included in a book called Place de la Concorde that I
read years ago.

In CH there are about 1300 tunnels and bridges that have built in
explosives in them. These are in the concrete, and the method of
detonation is not revealed.

This includes rail and auto tunnels, as well as a lot of bridges of both
types. The idea began during WW II when the Swiss decided that they
could not really defend themselves against Germany. They could, however,
destroy the entire transportation system in a matter of a short time.
With no rail or road traffic possible, and the alps to contend with in
moving troops and goods, the Germans knew they were out of luck.
Therefore, Hitler's plan of "waiting until we have Europe and then we go
back for the dirty little Swiss." makes good sense. Later, this held
true during the cold war and all the tensions that went with it in Europe.

This, along with the extensive civil and military facilities in the
hollowed out mountains, would have allowed an lengthy holding action
against any foe. What about new construction? Nothing said about that,
but I'll bet they still do this.

Vance Roy
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch.