[Culturechat] Marihuana in CH

Vance Roy gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 13:01:13 +0100

A law allowing the legal consumption of marihuana in CH is a step closer
to realization. A parliamentary committee recently passed a measure
unanimously recommending this. The decision is based on pragmatic
grounds, not to encourage the use of the leaf. Since the use of tobacco
and alcohol is already allowed, along with the abuse of each, the
government sees no harm in allowing the somewhat 600,000 users of
marihuana in CH to enjoy a joint with being criminals.

Enforcement of laws against the use has already been pretty soft. It
will still be illegal to grow or sell except under certain restrictions.
The government does not want coffee houses springing up on every corner.
There is no consideration of concessions regarding the use of hard drugs.

Opinions about this vary, as they would in the USA. As one who never
used marihuana (I was sure some guy would sell me dried parsley, and I
wouldn't know the difference), maybe some day I'll hit that little store
in the old town in Thun, and at least try the cookies. There is a store
there that deals in "hemp products" there, and several years ago, an
acquaintance smoked a joint hand rolled on the premises.

Vance Roy
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch.