[Culturechat] schools

Vance Roy gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Tue, 06 Nov 2001 10:10:41 +0100

I think one of Idyll's original hopes was for you to learn about
different country's cultural ideas as a whole. I hope this helps with
questions about the educational system here.

Regarding schooling (and most everything else), the kanton has a great
deal of say so. I happen to have a good Swiss friend who is the
equivalent in CH of the head of vocational training in a school system
in the USA. He is a teacher of course, and we have had discussions on
some of your points.

The school on the Hasliberg is a private affair. I had heard that it was
largely for "problem" children, but I am ignorant of it except for its
existence. Maybe the problems aren't with the kids but the parents.

Normally in Kanton Obwalden, the children may go to so called play
groups for 2-3 days per week at about 4-5 years. These aren't structured
schools with a curriculum but are valuable in teaching social skills, I
expect. At age 5, the child goes to kindergarten. I think this is
compulsory, but I won't swear to that. At age 6, the first grade begins
with half days as a rule. Although the curriculum in this part of CH is
supposed to be German, it is a mixture as time goes by.

School schedules remind me of something made out by a maddened
dogcatcher. Sort of like the street plan for Boston. Most every home has
schedules for each child on the refrigerator door, so mom can keep up
with where the kids are on a given day. Some of the more radical
feminists have accused the system of doing this so the mother of the
house always has some child at home and can't venture into the business
world. If that is true, it hasn't worked. Until the higher grades are
reached, school times are a jumble to me. I think they vary in each
community in a kanton. Schooling is compulsory! I have heard of cases
where a parent was punished for even a few days off to take the child to
grandparents. One must have a valid excuse with documentation. Good
thing that CH doesn't have a capital punishment law.

Some children in the "slow" group may have the parents advised to keep
them in sort of a super kindergarten for an extra year. there appears to
be very close communication between parents and teachers. teachers are
also always smarter than the students. Otherwise, the curriculum remains
the same for a given area until the ninth grade. Earlier election to go
on a course for a Matura can be done, I think in the seventh grade, but
this is voluntary. During the ninth class year, a student elects to go
one of two courses. To pursue a trade or vocational education, or to go
for a Matura. What is a Matura? It is certificate of expertise gained
after at least four years of study along the lines of math and science,
language, economics, or other courses as offered by the kanton's
educational system. Sometimes a student will travel some distance from
home to study at a given area because that school offers a good
education toward a specific Matura. The school in Sarnen sometimes
graduates student who are from Ticino. These students literally move to
the area for the school weeks. At the completion of the Matura study,
after 13 years in school, one takes an exam, and if passed, then is able
to pursue university study along the lines of his or her Matura.

All students who are not handicapped in some way, are required to
complete the ninth class. Those who opt out of a Matura then go through
a period of 2-4 years training for a vocation. If, for instance, a boy
wants to stay at home to learn the farming business, he may not have a
lot of study. Few kids want to stay on the farm these days. If a student
is uncertain, there are a large number of assessments that he or she can
undergo to see what their aptitudes are. There are also "mini
apprenticeships" available so that a student can get a taste of what
they may think they wish to do. After a decision is made, the student
begins a course of training with class work and on the job experience
for the prescribed period. This used to be called Distributive Education
when I was in high school in the USA. From this group comes the CH
salespeople, the bakers, the butchers, the carpenters, etc. These
students, called Lerhlings, are paid a salary and get benefits like any
worker. At the completion of their training, they take an exam to show
their expertise. Sometimes, a Lehrling may continue as a long time
employee. I know one man who did his training and now still works for
the same company over twenty years later. This isn't compulsory though.
You can imagine that some companies have great reputations for training,
and that they are sought as places to get one's education.

If a student, either early or much later, decides a given occupation is
not for him, there are paths open now that allow for retraining. This
did not used to be the case twenty or so years ago.

As far as school's extra activities, one does not see school band,
soccer teams, and the like. Every community has music clubs, chorus,
sporting teams, etc. in which nearly all kids participate from an early
age. School is pretty much for learning academic subjects, but nearly
all children play a musical instrument and some sort of sport.

Now, lastly, a disclaimer. I wrote the above from memory. Herr Britschgi
often lurks on the chats, so when I next meet him, I may have some
corrections/additions to the above.

Vance Roy
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch.