[Culturechat] Sandwiches and restaurants

Kraut907@aol.com Kraut907@aol.com
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 17:44:45 EST

--part1_67.1c28a1d2.29132a5d_boundary

Re Hal Taussig's story: I don't remember the Swiss eating on trains, but the
Germans certainly do! The moment the train leaves the station, they unpack
neatly wrapped Butterbrote, often accompanied by an apple. Last month, at the
main train in Leipzig, a fellow couldn't eve  wait and started to eat right
on the platform.
I don't like three-hour lunches either, but since I often travel by myself, I
take a book with me, and I appreciate that they don't chase me away before I
feel like it in Europe. Here, after the last morsel is ingested, the waiter
will expect one to pay up and clear out. Once in Stockholm, I had just
arrived and was hungry, I also went to McDonalds. Since they have that nice
habit in Europe of sharing tables, I had a wonderful conversation with a
young woman-banker, who spoke excellent English.

--part1_67.1c28a1d2.29132a5d_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>Re Hal Taussig's story: I don't remember the Swiss eating on trains, but the Germans certainly do! The moment the train leaves the station, they unpack neatly wrapped Butterbrote, often accompanied by an apple. Last month, at the main train in Leipzig, a fellow couldn't eve &nbsp;wait and started to eat right on the platform.
<BR>I don't like three-hour lunches either, but since I often travel by myself, I take a book with me, and I appreciate that they don't chase me away before I feel like it in Europe. Here, after the last morsel is ingested, the waiter will expect one to pay up and clear out. Once in Stockholm, I had just arrived and was hungry, I also went to McDonalds. Since they have that nice habit in Europe of sharing tables, I had a wonderful conversation with a young woman-banker, who spoke excellent English.</FONT></HTML>

--part1_67.1c28a1d2.29132a5d_boundary--