[Culturechat] Food, etc

Joe Tosolt joe.tosolt@untours.com
Thu, 01 Nov 2001 16:53:13 -0500

Should I be embarrassed to mention the time I was on my way to the opera in
Prague, but had neglected to plan enough time for dinner. Oh, and in my
defense, I'll also mention I was traveling alone, and what is more awkward
than dining in public all by your lonesome self?

So my dinner that evening featured a Big Mac and fries, with Verdi for
dessert. I think it's safe to say most Europeans would have opted to go
hungry. But I, at least, remember thinking how neat it was to swing from
one end of the cultural spectrum to the other in a matter of minutes.

But I have to say Europe rubbed off on me after a while, and I find it nice
to really "enjoy" a meal once in a while. Hard to imagine spending a few
hours on lunch daily, however.

Here's one aspect of Europe which I miss sorely here at home: dining
outdoors. I know I'm not the only one who treasures the sidewalk cafes and
restaurants which you find everywhere in Europe, but rarer in the U.S. than
foie gras!

Anyone have a favorite outdoor restaurant in Europe? I think of this place
in Vienna near Am Graben. A narrow street, music from street musicians
wafting by on the air. And one of my favorite meals ever- venison stew.

Regards,
Joe

Untours - Independent Travel With Support!
Tel.: 888-UNTOUR-1    Web: <http://www.untours.com>

Join IdyllChat, an email discussion group on European travel!
Visit: <www.untours.com/idyllchat/>

"Most Generous Company in America, 1999" awarded by Newman's
Own & George magazine. For information on the Idyll Development
Foundation, visit: <www.untours.com/idf>