[Culturechat] European/American attitudes changing

Peter Haggart haggart@uidaho.edu
Tue, 1 May 2001 09:26:35 -0700

Sorry to take so long to respond to this CultureChat Message -----------

We have not noticed this feeling in Europe during our UnTours. In fact, we
found the local people in Switzerland, France, Austria (Vienna), and Italy
(Tuscany and Rome) to be very kind and accepting of us.

We had been taught be the UnTour contact people in each area to always try
to greet people in their native language - to show that you cared enough to
at least try to learn a bit of their language and also to break the barrier
of expecting everyone to speak English. People are rightly proud of their
own language. Sure we got strange looks and laughter at our attempts, but it
did break the ice and people spoke to us in English if they could after that
opening round.

We had been warned about the French and their "attitude" - but found none of
that attitude at all. People went out of their way to help us.

Pete and Maggie

Peter Haggart, Faculty Secretary
University of Idaho
Moscow, ID 83844-1106