[Culturechat] Tenneseans and Noodles in the Alps

Peter Haggart haggart@uidaho.edu
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 11:02:27 -0700

Thanks for your remembrances Hal - we enjoyed reading them!

The party in individual Idyll villages is a good idea and should be followed
up. The number of people has grown and so it is difficult to manage in some
areas. The idea of getting to know local people better and understanding
their way of life is appealing.

One of our best Idyll experiences was this year on the German Rhine tour -
the wine tasting party in Winningen. Our winery host, Rosemarie
Hautt-Korber, provided a group of about 18 people not only with wine
tasting, but a typical "harvest" lunch and a wonderful history of grape
growing in this area of Germany. But with an emphasis on her role as the
grand-daughter of the owner of the winery and how she grew into management
in what was then only a man's profession. She personalized the party and
thus made it one that we will always remember.

So go ahead and start the party - they will grow to eventually include most
of the idyll villages - just like Idyll has grown because of the personal
contact that you gave it in the early days.

Pete and Maggie
Moscow, Idaho
Peter Haggart, Faculty Secretary
University of Idaho