[Culturechat] Shopping

Kk5qq@aol.com Kk5qq@aol.com
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 16:06:51 EST

--part1_148.61599ad.29467deb_boundary

In a message dated 12/10/01 1:55:16 PM Central Standard Time,
Andrea.Szyper@untours.com writes:

> Or more durable and personal goods you'll keep to invoke memories?

One more thing.  While in Florence we bought and had shipped home a ceramic
statue of Bacchus -- about two feet tall -- from a shop named
Poggi-something-or-other about a block north of the bell-tower entrance.
While in the shop we also drooled over round ceramic tables on wrought-iron
bases.

A year later, we decided to buy one of the tables.  An Internet search found
the shop's web site.  We ordered a 5-foot diameter one by email and paid
(about $2000) by credit card).  In due course it showed up in Houston's
airport and we had a hotshot service deliver it to our home.  The heavy
ceramic top was well padded and arrived in good shape.  The metal stand was
packed separately and en route had rubbed against something (doing severe
damage to it, no doubt) with enough force that one of the legs was bent
upward about an inch.  A local blacksmith shop straightened this for $35 and
then I spray painted the base with a can of auto-body-primer dark gray
Rustoleum.

The table looks great in our dinette.  The only problem is budgetary -- later
we felt compelled to buy in a Colorado art gallery for even more money a
Tuscan-village-scene oil painting (by an artist from Korea, of all places) to
complement the table.  My wife Jane tells me both of these are collectibles
that will increase in value -- something for our heirs to find out someday!

Irv Smith

--part1_148.61599ad.29467deb_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3 FACE="Bangle" LANG="0">In a message dated 12/10/01 1:55:16 PM Central Standard Time, Andrea.Szyper@untours.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Or more durable and personal goods you'll keep to invoke memories?</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FACE="Bangle" LANG="0"><BR>
One more thing.&nbsp; While in Florence we bought and had shipped home a ceramic statue of Bacchus -- about two feet tall -- from a shop named Poggi-something-or-other about a block north of the bell-tower entrance.&nbsp; While in the shop we also drooled over round ceramic tables on wrought-iron bases.<BR>
<BR>
A year later, we decided to buy one of the tables.&nbsp; An Internet search found the shop's web site.&nbsp; We ordered a 5-foot diameter one by email and paid (about $2000) by credit card).&nbsp; In due course it showed up in Houston's airport and we had a hotshot service deliver it to our home.&nbsp; The heavy ceramic top was well padded and arrived in good shape.&nbsp; The metal stand was packed separately and en route had rubbed against something (doing severe damage to it, no doubt) with enough force that one of the legs was bent upward about an inch.&nbsp; A local blacksmith shop straightened this for $35 and then I spray painted the base with a can of auto-body-primer dark gray Rustoleum.<BR>
<BR>
The table looks great in our dinette.&nbsp; The only problem is budgetary -- later we felt compelled to buy in a Colorado art gallery for even more money a Tuscan-village-scene oil painting (by an artist from Korea, of all places) to complement the table.&nbsp; My wife Jane tells me both of these are collectibles that will increase in value -- something for our heirs to find out someday!<BR>
<BR>
Irv Smith</FONT></HTML>

--part1_148.61599ad.29467deb_boundary--