[Idyllchat] Leiden to Brussels by Rail

Paul Nick pmnick@earthlink.net
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 19:58:35 -0500

One word of caution regarding this schedule.  The Intercity (IC) train
from Den Hague to Brussels leaves once an hour (around a quarter past,
if I recall correctly).  Our train from Leiden to Den Hague was delayed
by 5 minutes, so we missed the first train and had to wait an hour to
catch the second one.   The staff at the Leiden station will provide you
with a schedule, so be sure to take a train from Leiden to Den Hague
that arrives more than ten minutes before the IC train leaves.  The
trains in Holland are wonderful overall, but we noticed they did tend to
run late when you can least afford it!

(Rather than continuing to Brussels, we ended up switching trains in
Antwerp and then heading to Brugge)

Another option, if you don't mind spending a little extra money and
planning a day or so in advance, is to  book a ticket on the faster
Thalys trains.  We stuck to our Holland Railpasses, so I really don't
know much beyond the fact that the Thalys trains exist, but if you're
pressed for time, they might be worth considering.

- Paul Nick