[Culturechat] Re: [Idyllchat] It's Not Just the Destination, It's the Connection-Munich

robert w. miller rwm1029 at chartertn.net
Sun Sep 9 14:13:24 EDT 2007

There are other things to consider, too.  Untours usually have conveninet schedules from New York or Boston to Zurich for their Swiss Untours, but if you elect to depart from other US cities, their airline schedules sometimes leave much to be desired.  For instance, this past July we elected to depart from Dulles Airport in Washington because we have a son living only about 20 minutes from the airport.  For whatever reason, the airline schedule Untours had to offer was on British American which of course meant we went through London with a long layover there.  This would put us into Zurich about 3:00PM long after the Untour staff had departed.  This wasn't too bad because we were familiar with the train schedules and could have gotten to Sachslen on our own.  However, it was inconvenient.  Also, the return flight left Zurich at 8:30AM, too early for us to make the flight unless we came to Zurich the day before and had the expense of a hotel bill and meals plus losing one day of our trip.  There were taxes and other fees of $219 for travel through Heathrow plus an estimed $100 or more for the need to get to Zurich a day early.  We went on line and found direct flights to and from Zurich at very convenient times.  The tickets for this route was only $317 more than we would have paid for the Untour proposed routing,
or in other words, equal cost. Oh, and by the way, we could earn Frequent Flyer points via the direct flights and none by using BA.  Suggestion, if you are departing from US cities other than New York or Boston, be sure to investigate making your own travel arrangements.  It can be both cost effective and more convenient.

Bob Miller