[Culturechat] Stratfor.com on the EU Constitution

Gerald J. Clancy, Jr. jclancy@billtrak.com
Fri, 27 May 2005 12:21:37 -0400

--=====================_3386850==.ALT

I'll read this later and also check Le Figaro and Le Monde for their take=20
on the referendum.

We may be the only two checking this forum anymore.

Jerry

At 07:33 AM 5/27/2005, WesTexas@aol.com wrote:

><http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,13509-1629946,00.html>http://www.t=
imesonline.co.uk/article/0,,13509-1629946,00.html=20

>London Times:
>
>Turmoil as Chirac plots to disregard 'non' vote
>
>Excerpt:
>
>A "no" vote would leave M Chirac seriously weakened. His rival Nicolas=20
>Sarkozy, the UMP leader who aspires to become president in 2007, was=20
>blaming the Chirac Government's policies for fuelling the voter rebellion.=
=20
>M Chirac is expected to react to a French "non" by promising to listen to=
=20
>the people before making a second attempt at ratification.
>
>He and other "yes" campaigners have said repeatedly during the campaign=20
>that there is no =E2=80=9CPlan B=E2=80=9D if the treaty is rejected and=
 that there=20
>would not be a second referendum.
>
>But one option being discussed in senior diplomatic circles is for=20
>candidates in the French presidential election in 2007 to promise to=20
>ratify the treaty in parliament rather than by referendum.

--=====================_3386850==.ALT

I'll read this later and also check Le Figaro and Le Monde for their take
on the referendum.<br><br>
We may be the only two checking this forum anymore.<br><br>
Jerry<br><br>
At 07:33 AM 5/27/2005, WesTexas@aol.com wrote:<br><br>

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,13509-1629946,00.html</a>
London Times: <br><br>
Turmoil as Chirac plots to disregard 'non' vote <br><br>
Excerpt: <br><br>
A &quot;no&quot; vote would leave M Chirac seriously weakened. His rival
Nicolas Sarkozy, the UMP leader who aspires to become president in 2007,
was blaming the Chirac Government's policies for fuelling the voter
rebellion. M Chirac is expected to react to a French &quot;non&quot; by
promising to listen to the people before making a second attempt at
ratification. <br><br>
He and other &quot;yes&quot; campaigners have said repeatedly during the
campaign that there is no =E2=80=9CPlan B=E2=80=9D if the treaty is rejected=
 and that
there would not be a second referendum.<br><br>