[Culturechat] The Neurobiology of Mass Delusion

WesTexas@aol.com WesTexas@aol.com
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 14:45:23 EST

--part1_b7.4f10703c.2f16d853_boundary

In a message dated 1/11/05 12:57:59 PM, bob@gemut.com writes:

> The recent flurry of 'dwindling energy/Kunstler seeks glory by putting down
> America and Americans/we're all doomed' posts is getting to be like an
> argument between a married couple in a crowded waiting room; it may be relevant,
> it may be important, but please take it somewhere else.

I think a better analogy is that we are passengers on a ship where the
captain, who insists everything is fine, is arguing with the first officer, who
insists that we are headed for an iceberg.   The argument is indeed relevant since
there are two possibilities:   (1) the ship we are on will hit the iceberg or
(2) the ship we are on won't hit the iceberg.

I have been posting some of the Kunstler/Peak Oil missives as a kind of
experiment.   I was curious as to what kind of response I would get from a very
diverse group.   The response was pretty much what I expected.   In general,
people don't like to consider concepts which deeply challenge their worldview.

In the mean time, party on dudes!!!

Until the blackouts start and the gas lines start forming.

FYI--the energy bulletin website has an interview/article from that well
known leftist rag, Forbes Magazine, that predicts $100 oil within three years and
$150 oil within five years.

J. Brown

--part1_b7.4f10703c.2f16d853_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Gen=
eva" FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" SIZE=3D"2"><BR>
In a message dated 1/11/05 12:57:59 PM, bob@gemut.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE CITE STYLE=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px;=20=
MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px" TYPE=3D"CITE"></FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#0=
00000" FACE=3D"Geneva" FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" SIZE=3D"2">The recent flurry of=20=
'dwindling energy/Kunstler seeks glory by putting down America and Americans=
/we're all doomed' posts is getting to be like an argument between a married=
 couple in a crowded waiting room; it may be relevant, it may be important,=20=
but please take it somewhere else.</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Gen=
eva" FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" SIZE=3D"2"><BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Geneva" FAMILY=3D"SANSSE=
RIF" SIZE=3D"2"><BR>
I think a better analogy is that we are passengers on a ship where the capta=
in, who insists everything is fine, is arguing with the first officer, who i=
nsists that we are headed for an iceberg.&nbsp;  The argument is indeed rele=
vant since there are two possibilities:&nbsp;  (1) the ship we are on will h=
it the iceberg or (2) the ship we are on won't hit the iceberg.&nbsp;  <BR>
<BR>
I have been posting some of the Kunstler/Peak Oil missives as a kind of expe=
riment.&nbsp;  I was curious as to what kind of response I would get from a=20=
very diverse group.&nbsp;  The response was pretty much what I expected.&nbs=
p;  In general, people don't like to consider concepts which deeply challeng=
e their worldview.&nbsp;  <BR>
<BR>
In the mean time, party on dudes!!!<BR>
<BR>
Until the blackouts start and the gas lines start forming.<BR>
<BR>
FYI--the energy bulletin website has an interview/article from that well kno=
wn leftist rag, Forbes Magazine, that predicts $100 oil within three years a=
nd $150 oil within five years.&nbsp;  <BR>
<BR>
J. Brown<BR>
</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Geneva" FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" SIZE=3D"=
2"><BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Geneva" FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" SIZE=3D"=
2"></FONT></HTML>
--part1_b7.4f10703c.2f16d853_boundary--