[Culturechat] The Neurobiology of Mass Delusion

WesTexas@aol.com WesTexas@aol.com
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 12:53:20 EST

--part1_12d.5398bc37.2f156c90_boundary

http://www.energybulletin.net/index.php

(There are three good articles on the Energy Bulletin website today, 1/11/05.
  Following are excerpts from one story).   J. Brown

Published on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 by Energybulletin.net

The Neurobiology of Mass Delusion

 by Jason Bradford

Excerpts:

History is replete with examples of social organizations, whether a business
or a nation, that failed to perceive the realities of a changing environment
and didn't adapt in time to prevent calamity. Hubris and a self-reinforced
dynamic of mass delusion characterize the waning phases of these once powerful
groups. In hindsight we ask, "What were they thinking? Wasn't the situation
obvious to everyone? The evidence is so clear!" Here's the question we should ask
next: "Is history now repeating itself?"

Anyone familiar with the concepts of overshoot, resource depletion, global
climate change, mass extinction, and related ills, wonders why the media, church
groups and political leaders do not vigorously discuss these topics. By
contrast, those unfamiliar with these issues assume that because they are not
covered closely, the problems must not be too worrisome. My view is that science
and history are correct, and that we are headed for a major planetary disaster
as far as humans are concerned. I've tried to understand why the human brain,
on a collective level at least, is apparently incapable of dealing with obvious
problems. Here's what I've learned.

A changing environment, such as a busy street, requires us to be open to new
sensory inputs and to be willing to modify or even dismiss outmoded mental
models. Rigidity of mental models in the face of countervailing information is
called denial. Given what we now know about the structure and function of
different brain regions, we can understand the physiological roots of denial. The
data nullifying a cherished mental model are systematically filtered out before
the conscious brain is even aware of them. The expression, "Hear no evil, see
no evil, speak no evil," exemplifies this censoring process.

The conscious brain is not a simple dupe however. It can actively participate
in the act of denial. This is termed "rationalization," and involves complex
neocortical functions. People can erect fancier houses of cards and hold on to
their cherished beliefs even in the face of overwhelming contrary evidence.
Many will admit that is what they are doing by resorting to the expression,
"Well, I just have faith," even when the subject is not overtly religious. This
point in a discussion signals that the mental model being challenged is very
important for the person, and to remove it would cause a serious and painful
identity crisis. Who wants that kind of grief?

Those who know about "Peak Oil," monetary debts, climate change, militarism,
overpopulation, corporatism, soil loss, aquifer depletion, persistent organic
pollutants, deforestation, etc., realize we are at a major historical juncture
now. Since we know it is past time to change our culture, the question we
have is whether most people will bother to listen and create the necessary
transition in a rational, non-violent manner.

For those who find the terms in the previous paragraph somewhat mysterious,
try this. Research the "laws of thermodynamics" and compare them to the
cultural imperative for "economic growth." See if you can recognize and then resolve
the tension between the two in your mind. If you can't resolve the tension,
decide which one of these has to go. Look back at the terms in the previous
paragraph and ask how they relate to what you've just learned. Caution: afterwards
you may need a good shrink.

--part1_12d.5398bc37.2f156c90_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Gen=
eva" FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" SIZE=3D"2">http://www.energybulletin.net/index.php=
<BR>
<BR>
(There are three good articles on the Energy Bulletin website today, 1/11/05=
.&nbsp;  Following are excerpts from one story).&nbsp;  J. Brown<BR>
<BR>
Published on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 by Energybulletin.net <BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Geneva" FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" SIZE=3D"=
5">The Neurobiology of Mass Delusion<BR>
</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Geneva" FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" SIZE=3D"=
2"><BR>
 by Jason Bradford<BR>
<BR>
Excerpts:<BR>
<BR>
History is replete with examples of social organizations, whether a business=
 or a nation, that failed to perceive the realities of a changing environmen=
t and didn't adapt in time to prevent calamity. Hubris and a self-reinforced=
 dynamic of mass delusion characterize the waning phases of these once power=
ful groups. In hindsight we ask, "What were they thinking? Wasn't the situat=
ion obvious to everyone? The evidence is so clear!" Here's the question we s=
hould ask next: "Is history now repeating itself?"<BR>
<BR>
Anyone familiar with the concepts of overshoot, resource depletion, global c=
limate change, mass extinction, and related ills, wonders why the media, chu=
rch groups and political leaders do not vigorously discuss these topics. By=20=
contrast, those unfamiliar with these issues assume that because they are no=
t covered closely, the problems must not be too worrisome. My view is that s=
cience and history are correct, and that we are headed for a major planetary=
 disaster as far as humans are concerned. I've tried to understand why the h=
uman brain, on a collective level at least, is apparently incapable of deali=
ng with obvious problems. Here's what I've learned.<BR>
<BR>
A changing environment, such as a busy street, requires us to be open to new=
 sensory inputs and to be willing to modify or even dismiss outmoded mental=20=
models. Rigidity of mental models in the face of countervailing information=20=
is called denial. Given what we now know about the structure and function of=
 different brain regions, we can understand the physiological roots of denia=
l. The data nullifying a cherished mental model are systematically filtered=20=
out before the conscious brain is even aware of them. The expression, "Hear=20=
no evil, see no evil, speak no evil," exemplifies this censoring process.<BR=

<BR>
The conscious brain is not a simple dupe however. It can actively participat=
e in the act of denial. This is termed "rationalization," and involves compl=
ex neocortical functions. People can erect fancier houses of cards and hold=20=
on to their cherished beliefs even in the face of overwhelming contrary evid=
ence. Many will admit that is what they are doing by resorting to the expres=
sion, "Well, I just have faith," even when the subject is not overtly religi=
ous. This point in a discussion signals that the mental model being challeng=
ed is very important for the person, and to remove it would cause a serious=20=
and painful identity crisis. Who wants that kind of grief? <BR>
<BR>
Those who know about "Peak Oil," monetary debts, climate change, militarism,=
 overpopulation, corporatism, soil loss, aquifer depletion, persistent organ=
ic pollutants, deforestation, etc., realize we are at a major historical jun=
cture now. Since we know it is past time to change our culture, the question=
 we have is whether most people will bother to listen and create the necessa=
ry transition in a rational, non-violent manner.<BR>
<BR>
For those who find the terms in the previous paragraph somewhat mysterious,=20=
try this. Research the "laws of thermodynamics" and compare them to the cult=
ural imperative for "economic growth." See if you can recognize and then res=
olve the tension between the two in your mind. If you can't resolve the tens=
ion, decide which one of these has to go. Look back at the terms in the prev=
ious paragraph and ask how they relate to what you've just learned. Caution:=
 afterwards you may need a good shrink.<BR>
</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Geneva" FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" SIZE=3D"=
2"></FONT></HTML>
--part1_12d.5398bc37.2f156c90_boundary--