[Culturechat] 1/4/05 USA Today: The French Diet Connection

WesTexas@aol.com WesTexas@aol.com
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 12:16:57 EST

--part1_e8.9e45690.2f0c2989_boundary

http://www.usatoday.com/life/lifestyle/2005-01-03-french-diet-cover_x.htm

The French diet connection
 By Nanci Hellmich, USA TODAY

Excerpt:

<<Consume three good meals a day, watch portions, eat lots of fruits and
vegetables, use seasonings, eat a variety of seasonal foods, drink plenty of
water, savor wine, walk everywhere including up and down the stairs, indulge in a
treat every once in a while.>>

I don't want to keep bashing Americans, but we (literally) make such good
targets--since 30% of Americans are more than 30 pounds over their ideal weight,
while only about 11% of the French are more than 30 pounds over their ideal
weight.

The captioned article is a pretty good article that really analyzes the
differences between American and French lifestyles.    I think that a lot of the
difference can be blamed on my favorite target:   suburbia.  Millions of us
engage in highly stressful daily commutes to and from our half acre estates in the
suburbs.    Most French walk, or take mass transit to work, and have a lot
more time to savor the good things in life.

Jim Kunstler was criticized in effect for hating America.   Jim doesn't hate
America--he hates what America has become, and there is a huge difference.

I would encourage everyone who can to take advantage of the wonderful service
that Untours provides--to visit Europe and to explore alternative lifestyles
that don't require one car for every member of the household.

When you return to the U.S., strongly consider emulating the European
lifestyle.   Look for smaller, more energy efficient homes, closer to mass transit.
  If you have to buy a car, buy a hybrid or small fuel efficient vehicle.
Walk, or use a bike, as much as you can.    Instead of spending two hours on
the road every day, deliberately adopt a less expensive and less stressful
lifestyle and take some time to savor real food and to spend time with your family.

By the way, even here--in what Jim Kunstler considers to be a suburban
sunbaked wasteland--New Urbanism projects are selling like crazy.   In many areas in
Dallas/Ft. Worth, you have to put your name on a waiting list to buy
townhomes in New Urbansim developments.

J. Brown

--part1_e8.9e45690.2f0c2989_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Gen=
eva" FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" SIZE=3D"2">http://www.usatoday.com/life/lifestyle/=
2005-01-03-french-diet-cover_x.htm</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Gen=
eva" FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" SIZE=3D"2"><BR>
<BR>
The French diet connection<BR>
 By Nanci Hellmich, USA TODAY<BR>
<BR>
Excerpt:<BR>
</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Geneva" FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" SIZE=3D"=
2"><BR>
&lt;&lt;Consume three good meals a day, watch portions, eat lots of fruits a=
nd vegetables, use seasonings, eat a variety of seasonal foods, drink plenty=
 of water, savor wine, walk everywhere including up and down the stairs, ind=
ulge in a treat every once in a while.&gt;&gt;<BR>
<BR>
I don't want to keep bashing Americans, but we (literally) make such good ta=
rgets--since 30% of Americans are more than 30 pounds over their ideal weigh=
t, while only about 11% of the French are more than 30 pounds over their ide=
al weight.&nbsp;  <BR>
<BR>
The captioned article is a pretty good article that really analyzes the diff=
erences between American and French lifestyles.&nbsp;&nbsp;  I think that a=20=
lot of the difference can be blamed on my favorite target:&nbsp;  suburbia.=20=
 Millions of us engage in highly stressful daily commutes to and from our ha=
lf acre estates in the suburbs.&nbsp;&nbsp;  Most French walk, or take mass=20=
transit to work, and have a lot more time to savor the good things in life.&=
nbsp;  <BR>
<BR>
Jim Kunstler was criticized in effect for hating America.&nbsp;  Jim doesn't=
 hate America--he hates what America has become, and there is a huge differe=
nce.&nbsp;&nbsp;  <BR>
<BR>
I would encourage everyone who can to take advantage of the wonderful servic=
e that Untours provides--to visit Europe and to explore alternative lifestyl=
es that don't require one car for every member of the household.&nbsp;&nbsp;=
  <BR>
<BR>
When you return to the U.S., strongly consider emulating the European lifest=
yle.&nbsp;  Look for smaller, more energy efficient homes, closer to mass tr=
ansit.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;  If you have to buy a car, buy a hybrid or small fu=
el efficient vehicle.&nbsp;  Walk, or use a bike, as much as you can.&nbsp;&=
nbsp;  Instead of spending two hours on the road every day, deliberately ado=
pt a less expensive and less stressful lifestyle and take some time to savor=
 real food and to spend time with your family. <BR>
<BR>
By the way, even here--in what Jim Kunstler considers to be a suburban sunba=
ked wasteland--New Urbanism projects are selling like crazy.&nbsp;  In many=20=
areas in Dallas/Ft. Worth, you have to put your name on a waiting list to bu=
y townhomes in New Urbansim developments.&nbsp;&nbsp;  <BR>
<BR>
J. Brown<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Geneva" FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" SIZE=3D"=
2"></FONT></HTML>
--part1_e8.9e45690.2f0c2989_boundary--