[Culturechat] A washingtonpost.com article from: samovar9@aol.com

WesTexas@aol.com WesTexas@aol.com
Sun, 13 Feb 2005 15:12:18 EST

--part1_2b.6cbd37be.2f410ea2_boundary

For North Americans, ABC will be running a week long series of programs (I
believe on the evening news) entitled "Gridlock Nation."    In my opinion, the
Bush Administration's primary reason for waging war in the Middle East is to
secure our access to oil supplies, so that we can continue driving our Hummers
in bumper to bumper traffic jams.

I also believe that Bush will be crossing his own Rubicon if he attacks Iran.
  In my opinion, virtually the entire world will turn against us if we launch
this attack.   Unfortunately, Seymour Hersh, who has written an excellent
series of articles in the New Yorker, believes that it is only a question of
"when" and not "if" we attack Iran.   (A link to one of his stories is shown
below).

Following is a link to Thomas Friedman's take on oil and geopolitics, from
the 2/13/05 New York Times.    Along the same theme, the Dallas Morning News
recently ran an editorial entitled "The Prius Patriots," which described the
number of conservatives who are basically adapting the same viewpoint as Friedman
(who by the way, supported the attack on Iraq).    The DMN editorial is
available at www.dallasnews.com.

J. Brown

http://www.nytimes.com/pages/national/nationalspecial3/

No Mullah Left Behind

By THOMAS L. FRIEDMAN
By adamantly refusing to do anything to improve energy conservation in
America, the Bush team is financing both sides of the war on terrorism.

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?050124fa_fact

THE COMING WARS

by SEYMOUR M. HERSH

What the Pentagon can now do in secret.

--part1_2b.6cbd37be.2f410ea2_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Gen=
eva" FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" SIZE=3D"2">For North Americans, ABC will be runnin=
g a week long series of programs (I believe on the evening news) entitled "G=
ridlock Nation."&nbsp;&nbsp;  In my opinion, the Bush Administration's prima=
ry reason for waging war in the Middle East is to secure our access to oil s=
upplies, so that we can continue driving our Hummers in bumper to bumper tra=
ffic jams.&nbsp;&nbsp;  <BR>
<BR>
I also believe that Bush will be crossing his own Rubicon if he attacks Iran=
.&nbsp;  In my opinion, virtually the entire world will turn against us if w=
e launch this attack.&nbsp;  Unfortunately, Seymour Hersh, who has written a=
n excellent series of articles in the New Yorker, believes that it is only a=
 question of "when" and not "if" we attack Iran.&nbsp;  (A link to one of hi=
s stories is shown below).&nbsp;  <BR>
<BR>
Following is a link to Thomas Friedman's take on oil and geopolitics, from t=
he 2/13/05 New York Times.&nbsp;&nbsp;  Along the same theme, the Dallas Mor=
ning News recently ran an editorial entitled "The Prius Patriots," which des=
cribed the number of conservatives who are basically adapting the same viewp=
oint as Friedman (who by the way, supported the attack on Iraq).&nbsp;&nbsp;=
  The DMN editorial is available at www.dallasnews.com.<BR>
<BR>
J. Brown<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Geneva" FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" SIZE=3D"=
2">http://www.nytimes.com/pages/national/nationalspecial3/</FONT><FONT COLOR=
=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Times New Roman" FAMILY=3D"SERIF" SIZE=3D"2"><B><BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" FACE=3D"Times New Roman" FAMILY=3D"SERIF" SIZ=
E=3D"2"><A HREF=3D"http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/13/opinion/13friedman.html=
">No Mullah Left Behind</A></B></FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Geneva=
" FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" SIZE=3D"2"><BR>
</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Times New Roman" FAMILY=3D"SERIF" SIZ=
E=3D"2"><BR>
By THOMAS L. FRIEDMAN</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Geneva" FAMILY=
=3D"SANSSERIF" SIZE=3D"2"><BR>
</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Times New Roman" FAMILY=3D"SERIF" SIZ=
E=3D"2">By adamantly refusing to do anything to improve energy conservation=20=
in America, the Bush team is financing both sides of the war on terrorism.<B=

<BR>
</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Geneva" FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" SIZE=3D"=
2"><BR>
http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?050124fa_fact<BR>
<BR>
THE COMING WARS<BR>
<BR>
by SEYMOUR M. HERSH<BR>
<BR>
What the Pentagon can now do in secret.</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=
=3D"Geneva" FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" SIZE=3D"2"></FONT></HTML>

--part1_2b.6cbd37be.2f410ea2_boundary--