[Culturechat] Re: [Idyllchat] Trouble day 3 and pics

Vance Roy gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Fri, 26 Aug 2005 14:15:54 +0200

On 26. Aug 2005, at 01:19, Jerry wrote:

> Monday evening we were eating dinner when we heard a strange sound.
> It was water, but louder than normal.  We went outside to see the
> small mountain stream was becoming a raging river.  It was bringing
> down rocks and some of those rocks jammed under the bridge forcing
> water over the bridge.  The waters then broke through the berm and
> starting flooding the low areas. There were then sirens and lots of
> people working trying to contain the water.
>
> We lost electricity about 9 pm Monday night and went to sleep thinking
> the worst flooding was a good distance from our apartment, but when we
> woke Tuesday morning, there was mud and rocks everywhere.
> Fortunately, the mud stopped about 15 feet from our front door.  We
> got electricity back about 3 pm.

This is a perfect description of what happens. If you multiply the "dam
effect" by several times as the water comes down the mountain with
damming and break throughs, then you have a good idea of what can
happen. Sometimes, those rocks can be house-sized.

Vance Roy
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
http://homepage.mac.com/fredch

My neighborhood is so bad that whenever I go jogging, people assume I'm
fleeing.
AJC Vent