[Culturechat] Swiss perceptions of Thanksgiving

Vance Roy gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:16:26 +0100

Thursday, the local paper had a column on Thanksgiving in the USA, It
was called "Travel Fever and Turkey out of a Bottle".

Well, I knew that millions of people hit the airports and roads like so
many lemmings every Thanksgiving holiday, but the turkey in a bottle
made me stop and read it.

Sure as expected, there are reports on how Americans love their
turkeys, have all sorts of recipes for them, call turkey hotlines for
help, etc. 90% of Americans ate some 43 million turkeys yesterday. W's
turkey got a reprieve to a petting zoo (bet he didn't have a peanut
butter and jelly), so they say. After the turkey millions of satiated
Americans slept in front of TVs while parades and football games took
place. The wives were resting up so they could hit the stores early on
Black Friday. I really take exception to their characterization of
pumpkin pie having the consistency of a concrete block. I am going to
have to hurt somebody about that. Otherwise, the rest rings pretty
true.

However, I digress. It seems that the Jones Soda Company (didn't
googlize them, so I don't know where they are located) has come out
with a turkey flavored soft drink! Gag and retch, can anyone think of a
more nauseating idea?

Our Swiss Thanksgiving was pretty traditional except for the BBQ sauce.
I smoked a 14 pound turk which cost me 64 CHF at Migros (about 50 US$
for those of you that got them in the USA for 60 cents a pound). We had
sweet potatoes, dressing, gravy, cranberries (about 6 $ a pound here),
and pecan pie for dessert. Since Albert and Berit like a BBQ sauce that
I make, on their turkey, we had that too. The meal was a bit expensive,
but it comes once a year, and our Swiss friends like it too.

No one waddled home hungry.

Vance Roy
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
http://homepage.mac.com/fredch

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"
Unknown