[Culturechat] Tipping

Vance Roy gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Sun, 14 Nov 2004 08:24:23 +0100

On 14.11.2004, at 00:02, Barbara Palmer wrote:

> Oh, I eat out everywhere and anywhere.    The IRS can say whatever
> they want but wait persons have to pay a certain percentage whether
> they are tipped or not.

OK. Say you declare 5000$ in tips, and the IRS says you owe 30 % of all
tips. You pay that. BUT you really took in 8000$. You have 3000$ tax
free. I'd have to see chapter and verse before I would believe the IRS
can charge you a flat fee because of your occupation. That just ain't
so unless I see it in the code. They may well take a % of your DECLARED
income but no set amount unless you make a declaration.

>    I suppose it is easier if the restaurant includes the service
> charge for you but what's the difference?  If you hate the service you
> are forced to tip anyway.

Most restaurants in places that I visit in the USA have moved to an
inclusive service charge. You pay that for sure, just like here.

Complaints can always be made, but you are wasting your breath talking
to service personnel. The owner or manager should hear your complaint.
After all, the only thing the service person can control is his/her
attitude. If that sucks; no tip and see the boss. Cold food, slow
service, etc. are not likely service people's fault.

My complaint? Cultural mores that require an organized extortion to
subsidize an establishment's overhead. Simple enough.

Our Thanksgiving? It will be a home smoked turkey, maybe eaten in our
pajamas, and with no tips! Hope yours is as nice.
>   Here you can leave nothing or a very small tip if you are not
> satisfied.  However, I always think it is better to tell someone about
> what annoys you.  I just don't see what you are complaining about
> since you have to tip also.   Have a good Thanksgiving.
> Barb

Vance Roy
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
http://homepage.mac.com/fredch

Americans always get it right, after they've exhausted all the other
possibilities--Winston Churchill