[Culturechat] retirement in Switzerland

Vance Roy gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Sun, 7 Nov 2004 11:37:19 +0100

The short answer is "No". I have been asked several times about this,
and I try to play the Devil's Advocate.

The longer answer is "Maybe". There are a lot of "ifs" in that.

If you have ten years or so to plan and can make contacts with the
Swiss people.
If you (and a spouse is included in all these) are sure that you can
enjoy being a foreigner on a permanent basis.
If you are willing to learn a bit of another language.
If you can be a person whose sphere of comfort can let you live
anywhere.
If you can be comfortable without working.
If you have enough non-work activity to keep you happy.
If you can show the authorities that you have enough resources, so as
not to be a burden on their social system (don't you wish the USA did
that?).

There are likely more "ifs", but these come to mind right now. The
local community has more to say about you living here than the federal
authorities. It is nice to have friends already in place, as we do.

Property can be purchased if you have the money. It is expensive and
limits where you may live. Some communities can sell and others do not.
Condos with no land rights are available. Most of these are in resort
areas and therefore, more expensive than elsewhere. Add taxes,
insurance, furnishings, maintenance, etc. to get the real price. Swiss
taxes are levied on you total world net worth, but you do get a USA tax
credit for those.

There are exceptions, and I think that I am one of those. I have a
ready made Swiss family and a Swiss Godson, so it is less foreign to
me. I have plenty of things that interest me without work. Barbara has
work only because the Kanton wanted a native English speaker, and she
was one of a few. She also has other interests here to occupy her.

We have wonderful connections to our USA families. We talk to/see our
children and grandchildren every few days. Sometimes on a web camera
for real time views. I asked my granddaughter, Katie, her spelling
words a couple of days ago. I can talk on the telephone to the USA for
an hour for what I would spend on a stamp from here. We travel to the
USA twice or more per year. From Zurich to Boston is about like Boston
to LA in time. Our children/grandchildren all like to visit us in
Newport, so we get personal time with them there, and they love to come
to CH for visits.

Of course, if you about ten gazillion bucks, you can pay a "life tax"
fee to the Kanton, and they will be glad to have you stay and
contribute to the economy. Unless you are a big time entertainment or
sports star, that doesn't apply.

If you have specific questions, sing out. Overall, I am just VERY, VERY
lucky.

Vance Roy
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
http://homepage.mac.com/fredch

The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right
sometimes.

Winston Churchill