[Culturechat] German language

Vance Roy gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 10:59:48 +0100

The village of Ostermundigen in CH has decided that candidates for CH
citizenship must pass a German language test. Candidates have to live
in Ch for 12 years and also be debt free (or have proof that their
payments are up to date). They can take German lessons but must pay for
them. If they pass the test, they get half their payments back.
Citizenship in CH is decided on a local level by the community.

Germany has had a similar system for two years but the lessons are
free. CH opponents say this requirement is discriminatory, but
proponents say that this just encourages integration. After all, if you
live in a country for 12 years, you should have learned the language,
right?

They offered a sample multiple choice test which I took. It is a piece
of cake that I could have passed some years ago.

Wonder how that would fly in the USA? No, I don't wonder.

Vance Roy
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
http://homepage.mac.com

Americans always get it right, after they've exhausted all the other
possibilities--Winston Churchill