[Culturechat] Brother Niklaus in Sachseln

Vance Roy gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 12:20:42 +0100

Below is an article by a freelance writer, Ina Gilles that appeared in
a Queen Anne, WA? newspaper. She gave me permission to reprint this to
the chat. For that, I thank her.

Since reading it, my friend, Albert Greutert, has told me about his
mother coming to him during WW II, when he was about 12 years old and
telling him about the soldiers at the Rhine seeing this man whose arms
appeared to hold back the Germans across the river. Albert is a
Methodist, so folks other than Roman Catholics were impressed by this.

The treaty mentioned is the articles of confederation that began CH as
it is today. Brudder Klaus was the Ben Franklin of CH. His name was
Niklaus von Flue, and one can visit his birthplace and the hermitage
cell in which he live so many years at Flueli Ranft above the Sachseln
village. The name von Flue is still a prominent one in Sachseln.

> St. Niklaus von Flue, The Golden Bear
> A Santa Claus for our Time
>
> By Ina Gilles
>
> What if it is not the child who believes in Santa Claus who is
> deluded, but
> the adult who doesn’t? I back up this question with the following
> story.
>
> One day during World War II, a Swiss regiment saw a man standing with
> his
> arms outstretched on the border between Switzerland and Germany.
> To understand the reverberation of this event (or legend) through
> Switzerland
> and the world, one needs to go back over 500 years to the Congress of
> Stans.
>
> Switzerland was in crisis. Conflict about the addition of new,
> aristocratic
> cantons to the established democratic, rural cantons was threatening
> to end in
> battle. If this happened, Austria and France could invade and take
> over the
> vulnerable country. Switzerland would no longer exist.
>
> At the height of the conflict, December 22, 1487, a priest took it upon
> himself to run through the night to the town of Sachseln and consult
> Niklaus von
> Flue, a man reknown for his wisdom. It must have been a long, dark and
> cold run.
>
> Brother Niklaus (St. Niklaus after his death) had been a judge. But he
> got so
> fed up with human iniquity that he left his job, wife and family and
> built a
> hut in a ravine at the bottom of the family property, where he stayed
> the rest
> of his life. His wife must have been a bit put out, but at least he
> was still
> in the backyard.
>
> He went through a number of experiences that Marie-Luise von Franz,
> who tells
> the story of Brother Niklaus in her book, "Archetypal Dimensions of the
> Psyche", describes as psychological transformations.
>
> They sound rather strange and include items like a staff and a golden
> bearskin; but they resulted in a man to whom people journeyed from far
> away, bringing
> him their problems. He met each person with down to earth directness,
> saw
> their good and bad, and dealt with them, according to von Franz, "with
> a humorous
> wink of the eye and with kindly warmth."
>
> After running all night, the messenger arrived at the hermitage and
> asked
> Brother Niklaus what to do. Writes von Franz, Brother Niklaus "sent
> the message
> that the parties should come to an understanding." He asked them to
> accept the
> new cantons without much expanding their territory, "to keep the peace
> …and to
> [...]
Vance Roy
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
http://homepage.mac.com

Americans always get it right, after they've exhausted all the other
possibilities--Winston Churchill