[Culturechat] An Untour that is an UNTOUR

Vance Roy gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Sat, 7 Feb 2004 08:25:38 +0100

While reading a Dave Barry column this week, the thought occurred to
me, "Why not an Untour to Mars"? They seem to go everywhere else.

OK, OK, I can hear the Idyll naysayers right now. "Trip takes too
long." Well, yes it does take six months or so even if you get a direct
flight and don't have to change at the Moon's crappy airport, but a lot
of retired folks wouldn't mind taking a six month trip. Some school
kids could take a year abroad, as they do now for the round trip. "No
local support." Well, as far as we know, no locals there, but who
knows? Maybe some Martian named *&#$)*& will show up from under one of
those rocks. "It" might even wind up coming to the Earth some day to
visit with human Idyllers. "No apartments." That's easily solved with
space trailer, or as they are now known at the mobile home shows in
Alabama, "manufactured homes". "No mass transport or rental cars."
Right, but one can easily remedy that with some extra Mars Rovers, and
I can put Idyll onto a hot source for these, since some of the parts
come from here in Sachseln. "Where would we have orientation?" No
sweat, out among all those great looking rocks. If a hydrogen shower
comes along, it wouldn't matter, most folks have quit smoking. "What is
there to do on Mars?" Good grief! Think of the hikes. What about the
canals? As Dave says, "Canals mean boats, and if there are boats, then
there are boatyards with organisms to work on boats." Piloting your own
Martian barge down a canal could be fun. The Mars Pass could cover
that. "No food or water." Solved with a weekly shuttle until local
cheese can be made and ripened. With less gravity than earth, those
Martian cows must put out lots of milk with the cream rising to the top
quickly. "Not a good value because the days are shorter." Two
solutions: one, calculate the astronomical variations and give an
adjustment for each term, and two, make the terms three weeks instead
of two. "No available medical care." I could be prevailed upon to get
my Merck Manual and Mayo Home Healthcare books out of storage and go
too. There are probably more objections, since someone at Idyll is
always a pessimist fearful of treading new ground.

Hal or some of his cohorts would need to get a jump on this by an
early, ground laying trip. I know some who think he might be a Mars
native anyway. Wouldn't you like to be the first on your block to have
your own Idyll spacesuit?

Vance Roy
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
http://homepage.mac.com/fredch

Americans always get it right, after they've exhausted all the other
possibilities--Winston Churchill