[Culturechat] What does Jim Kunstler know--that most Americans don't know?

Bob Bestor bob@gemut.com
Thu, 23 Dec 2004 17:58:34 -0800

--============_-1108268978==_ma============

Un-American? I haven't heard anyone on this list say it was.

I truly wish my state, Oregon, had a rail system=20
like Switzerland's. I'd even settle for one like=20
Austria's but it's not going to happen. The=20
automobile is here to stay, it's just going to=20
have a different power source. Even so, I'll=20
wager the hearse that gets the honor of hauling=20
the esteemed Mr. Kunstler's bones to the=20
graveyard - and I fervently hope that day is many=20
decades in the future - is powered, at least in=20
part, by gasoline or diesel.

Bob Bestor

--
--============_-1108268978==_ma============

blockquote, dl, ul, ol, li { padding-top: 0 ; padding-bottom: 0 }
 --></style><title>Re: [Culturechat] What does Jim Kunstler know--that
was.</div>
Switzerland's. I'd even settle for one like Austria's but it's not
going to happen. The automobile is here to stay, it's just going to
have a different power source. Even so, I'll wager the hearse that
gets the honor of hauling the esteemed Mr. Kunstler's bones to the
graveyard - and I fervently hope that day is many decades in the
future - is powered, at least in part, by gasoline or diesel.</div>
color=3D"#000000">Hear, hear!&nbsp; I agree completely and it ISN'T
un-American to say so.</font></blockquote>
color=3D"#000000">&nbsp;</font></blockquote>
color=3D"#000000">Paul</font></blockquote>
color=3D"#000000">&nbsp;</font></blockquote>
color=3D"#000000">In a message dated 12/23/2004 2:55:45 PM Eastern
Standard Time, WesTexas@aol.com writes:</font><br>
Kunstler:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &lt;&lt;The process of making America an
alienated land of solitary, obese driver-shoppers has been very
profitable for predatory corporations. They have systematically
disassembled the public social infrastructure and repackaged pieces of
it for sale -- starting with the single-family house isolated on its
lot from all the normal amenities of culture and society.&gt;&gt;<br>
This above quote is Jim Kunstler's principal cultural
point.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; In addition to the cultural point, Jim has
accurately described suburbia as the biggest misallocation of capital
in the history of the world.&nbsp; It has no future.&nbsp; Our system
of widely dispersed home, retail and commercial sites--connected by
fuel hogging mega-SUV's-- makes sense only so long as we have cheap
energy.&nbsp;&nbsp; What makes sense after the end of cheap energy are
small towns and densely populated urban areas with homes, retail and
commercial spaces in close proximity, in culturally rich walkable
communities.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; If we spent more time walking, rather
than driving land barges, we would probably lose our distinction of
being the fattest people on the planet.&nbsp;<br>
In regard to the question of &quot;what does Jim Kunstler know?&quot;&nbsp;
I would rephrase it somewhat.&nbsp; A better question is, &quot;what
does Jim Kunstler know that most Americans don't know?&quot;&nbsp;<br>
Almost no one likes to hear the message that the current energy
intensive American lifestyle is&nbsp; doomed, but it is surely
doomed.&nbsp;&nbsp; Whether we like SUV's and large suburban
McMansions or not, we are going to have to reduce our energy
usage.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Another huge looming issue is food.&nbsp;&nbsp;
Partly because we have covered over so much prime farmland with
concrete and asphalt, the U.S. will become a net importer of food next
year.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>
A good place to learn about alternatives to our car centered culture
is to visit Europe and see how Europeans get by without one car per
person.&nbsp;<br>
J. Brown</font><br>
color=3D"#000000">&nbsp;</font></blockquote>
<x-sigsep><pre>--
</pre></x-sigsep>