[Culturechat] EUROPE - THY NAME IS COWARDICE

Gerald J. Clancy, Jr. jclancy@billtrak.com
Wed, 08 Dec 2004 20:17:43 -0500

Man, in my view this guy hit the nail right on the head. It's a view I've
held for years. A lot of us in this group are old enough to have lived
through WW II and the noises coming out of the EU these days (and to some
extent here in the States as well) are so reminiscent of Chamberlain's
days. Britain and Italy, to their great credit, have stood with us. Yes,
Vietnam, most would agree today, was a mistake (at least the way we went
about it) and, while surely part of Bush's rationale for Iraq was to finish
Old Dad's business, few would argue that taking out Hussein was a bad
thing. And few argue that Korea, Bosnia and Afghanistan were bad moves.

The EU block, and particularly Germany and France, have greatly benefited
first from the Marshall plan (and let's not forget the Berlin Airlift) and
secondly from us carrying almost their entire defensive load militarily for
almost 60 years, freeing their budgets and burdening ours. This European
generation (with the noted exceptions above), which is fat and happy with
growing economies, seems to be repeating the history of the 1930s.

Hooray for Herr Döpfner. Would there were more like him.

Jerry