[Culturechat] PISA Test

Virginia Knueppel ginik@mindspring.com
Tue, 7 Dec 2004 11:02:22 -0500

Thanks, Vance, for including more information than was in the article I
read in this morning's Atlanta Journal Constitution.  I think one key
statement at the end of said article is the fact that in Finland teachers
are given the same respect (and salaries!) as other professionals --
doctors, lawyers, etc. -- and regarded by both the public and students as
the authorities in their classrooms. As a result, graduate schools for
educators are very difficult to get into because of the high number of
applicants.

I'm sure there are many reasons for the poor showing of the USA in this
test, and that solutions are in the "both/and" category. But my personal
opinion is that the current track of testing, testing, testing makes
political rather than academic good sense. I'm a retired teacher.

Thanks for all your interesting comments in culturechat.

Virginia Knueppel
ginik@mindspring.com
Why Wait?  Move to EarthLink.