[Culturechat] Check out "As Suburbs Grow, So Do Waistlines" & U.S. Car Culture

Hal Taussig HT@untours.com
Mon, 08 Sep 2003 17:47:38 -0400

I would love a little play-back on Untours' effort to use public
transportation (mostly rail) rather than cars. You may remember, my reason
for exploring Denmark is because Copenhagen's effort to keep automobiles
from dominating the city are the  most successful in the world.We will want
to consider using buses and trains in our new Greece Untour--mostly simply
relying on buses scheduled for public  transportation. Of course we
Americans value convenience highly, and, in this context, I mean that we
want to leave and return exactly at the time when our whims dictate. And
that is part of our strong sense of individualism, or put differently, our
lack of motivation to build strong communities.