[Culturechat] CH Factoid

Hal Taussig HT@untours.com
Fri, 23 May 2003 16:55:42 -0400

As someone devoted to the Swiss rail system, I'd like to bounce this
subject around a little. Here's a question  to Vance--really more of a
request to have him verify (or correct) the information I have about
changes taking place in this aspect of Swiss culture. Despite the fact that
the Swiss are proud of their rail system, it seems to be threatened by two
global forces: 1) The world-wide triumph of automobile culture; and 2)
market forces taking over public services. Since Untours began in 1975 the
Swiss have taken to cars in droves, producing traffic jams in Alpine
villages between Luzern and Interlaken (to cite the location I have known
best). The evening trains are being replaced by buses. In my earlier years
it Switzerland it seemed to be an accepted fact that the trains would be
subsidized by tax money. The SBB is now being asked to balance its own
budget--or at least to move in that direction as fast as possible. Train
stations in most small villages are being closed. Though this is partly a
triumph of technology, it is, in fact, destroying an institutional presence
in these villages--the village "Bahnhof." All of this does not negate
Vance's basic point. Swiss trains are still central to Swiss life--partly
because it's the worlds best rail system.
Hal