[Culturechat] Culture moment: what Fado unlocks

Marilee Taussig marilee.taussig@untours.com
Tue, 6 May 2003 08:46:16 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_00EF_01C313AB.F50FE1E0

I promised I would start posting some "culture moments" from my trip to =
Portugal and Spain, before they fade away from my memory, so here goes:  =

  One of the most potent moments of this trip  was during the hosted =
dinner that Idyll offers to Portuguese Untourists.  Untourists gather at =
 a "fado" club in the heart of Lisbon.  Fado is a uniquely Portuguese =
genre music, extremely haunting, almost mournful, yet very spirited. It =
is said to have originated with the sailors and ladies of the night in =
the ports of this seafaring nation.  It is very earthy and dramatic; you =
might call it the "poor man's opera".  Idyll's dinner is in a good =
quality restaurant in Lisbon  --sort of a dinner and floor show kind of =
set up.  Nevertheless, to be honest, at the beginning, it felt a little =
too touristy for my taste.  Most of the guests at the club were =
obviously tourists (Germans and Japanese,) mostly, in this particular =
case.   I usually break out in hives at the mere thought of being in a =
typical tourist locale.=20

  As it turned out, I happened to be seated at an angle that made it a =
little awkward to turn and look at the singers (who serenaded us =
throughout the dinner) so instead, when the voices would raise, I would =
just close my eyes and let the music go through me.  What I discovered =
was that after 5 - 10 minutes of pure listening, that these "story =
songs"  (they seem to all tell stories of lost love, tragedy and a =
yearning for something unattainable) whose language I could not =
understand and whose rhythms and harmony were not my normal taste in =
music, had succeeded in touching something very deep in me.=20

  At one point I opened my eyes and saw a stout and sober looking German =
man whose seat happened in my line of vision.  He had tears in his eyes. =
=20

  The music touched something that transcends individual culture, I =
think.  (But now that I consider it, what great music doesn't? )  =
Whether you like fado or not, I believe that if you truly listen to it, =
it has the power to find and surface whatever unnamed longing lies =
buried in you.  Seeing this German tourist, whose appearance and =
demeanor would have put him last on my list of people capable of deep =
emotion  -- on  the surface he looked quite like a "stuffed shirt",  to =
put it bluntly  -- made me stop and check my own stereotypes at the =
door.  Everyone has something that they remember, that they miss, that =
they will always feel the absence of.  Fado seems to have the capacity =
to unlock it and let it come up into one's awareness.

  So, in the midst of a typical tourist, rather artificial-feeling =
setting, some authentic strand of Portuguese culture remained intact.  =
The music of fado  showed me that buried in a very unique aspect of one =
particular culture is a direct line to something universal:  the  sense =
of loss and longing...a feeling that I would bet my bottom dollar is one =
that people in all parts of the planet feel. =20
As you head off to your Untours, don't forget to bring us home those =
moments where a glimpse into someone else's world helps you understand =
your own a little better.  Happy travels,=20

Marilee  =20
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Untours - Independent Travel With Support!
Tel.: 888-UNTOUR-1    Web: <http://www.untours.com>

Join IdyllChat, an email discussion group on European travel!
Visit: <www.untours.com/idyllchat/>

"Most Generous Company in America, 1999" awarded by Newman's
Own & George magazine. For information on the Idyll Development
Foundation, visit: <www.untours.com/idf>
------=_NextPart_000_00EF_01C313AB.F50FE1E0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I promised I would start posting some =
"culture=20
moments" from my trip to Portugal and Spain, before they fade away from =
my=20
memory, so here goes: &nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>One of the most potent =
moments&nbsp;of this trip=20
  &nbsp;was during the hosted dinner that Idyll offers to Portuguese=20
  Untourists.&nbsp; Untourists gather at&nbsp; a "<EM>fado</EM>" club in =
the=20
  heart of Lisbon.&nbsp; <EM>Fado</EM> is a uniquely Portuguese genre =
music,=20
  extremely haunting, almost mournful, yet very spirited.&nbsp;It is =
said to=20
  have originated with the sailors and ladies of the night in the ports =
of this=20
  seafaring nation.&nbsp; It is very earthy and dramatic;&nbsp;you might =
call it=20
  the "poor man's opera". &nbsp;Idyll's dinner is in a good quality =
restaurant=20
  in Lisbon&nbsp; --sort of a dinner and floor show kind of set =
up.&nbsp;=20
  Nevertheless, to be honest, at the beginning, it felt a little too =
touristy=20
  for my taste.&nbsp; Most of the guests at the club were obviously =
tourists=20
  (Germans and Japanese,) mostly, in this particular case.&nbsp;&nbsp; I =
usually=20
  break out in hives at the mere thought of being in a typical tourist =
locale.=20
  </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>As it turned out, I happened to be =
seated at an=20
  angle that made it a little awkward to turn and look at the singers =
(who=20
  serenaded us throughout the dinner) so instead, when the voices would =
raise, I=20
  would just close my eyes and let the music go through me.&nbsp; What I =

  discovered was that after 5 - 10 minutes of pure listening, that these =
"story=20
  songs"&nbsp; (they seem to all tell stories of lost love, tragedy and =
a=20
  yearning for something unattainable) whose language I could not =
understand and=20
  whose rhythms and harmony were not my normal taste in music, had =
succeeded in=20
  touching something very deep in me. </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>At one point I opened my eyes and saw =
a stout and=20
  sober looking German man whose seat&nbsp;happened in my line of =
vision.&nbsp;=20
  He had tears in his eyes.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The music touched something that =
transcends=20
  individual culture, I think.&nbsp; (But now that I consider it, what =
great=20
  music doesn't? )&nbsp; Whether you like <EM>fado</EM> or not, I =
believe that=20
  if you truly listen to it, it has the power to find and surface =
whatever=20
  unnamed longing lies buried in you.&nbsp; Seeing this German tourist, =
whose=20
  appearance and demeanor would have put him last on my list of people =
capable=20
  of deep emotion&nbsp; -- on&nbsp; the surface he looked quite like a =
"stuffed=20
  shirt", &nbsp;to put it bluntly&nbsp; -- made me stop and check my own =

  stereotypes at the door.&nbsp; Everyone has something that they =
remember, that=20
  they miss, that they will always feel the absence of.&nbsp; <EM>Fado=20
  </EM>seems to have the capacity to unlock it and let it come up into =
one's=20
  awareness.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>So, in the midst of a typical =
tourist, rather=20
  artificial-feeling setting, some authentic strand of Portuguese =
culture=20
  remained intact.&nbsp; The music of <EM>fado</EM>&nbsp;&nbsp;showed me =
that=20
  buried in a very unique aspect of one particular culture is a direct =
line to=20
  something universal:&nbsp;&nbsp;the&nbsp; sense of loss and =
longing...a=20
  feeling that I would bet my bottom dollar is one that&nbsp;people in =
all parts=20
  of the planet feel.&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>As you head off to your Untours, don't =
forget to=20
bring us home those moments where a glimpse into someone else's world =
helps you=20
understand your own a little better.&nbsp; Happy travels, </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Marilee&nbsp;=20
&nbsp;<BR>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D<BR>Untours -=20
Independent Travel With Support!<BR>Tel.: 888-UNTOUR-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
Web:=20
&lt;<A =
href=3D"http://www.untours.com">http://www.untours.com</A>&gt;</FONT></DI=

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Join IdyllChat, an email discussion =
group on=20
European travel!<BR>Visit: &lt;<A=20
href=3D"http://www.untours.com/idyllchat/">www.untours.com/idyllchat/</A>=
&gt;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"Most Generous Company in America, =
1999" awarded by=20
Newman's<BR>Own &amp; George magazine. For information on the Idyll=20
Development<BR>Foundation, visit: &lt;<A=20
href=3D"http://www.untours.com/idf">www.untours.com/idf</A>&gt;</FONT></D=