[Culturechat] A note of support for Untours--They were cheap before cheap was cool

WesTexas@aol.com WesTexas@aol.com
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 12:55:35 EST

USA Today had an article a couple of weeks ago about how travel had changed
of late.  Three years ago, people tended to boast about how expensive their
vacations were.  Today, people boast about how cheap their vacations are.
(The same situation seems exists for cars.  At a party last night, a group of
guys were boasting about how OLD their cars are).

To paraphrase the country and western song, Untours was cheap before cheap
was cool.  During the "boom," I'm sure Hal could have charged much more for
Untours vacations, but like Southwest Airlines and Walmart, Untours has
adopted a low cost business model--where you figure your cost basis, add a
reasonable profit and ignore the competition.

Unfortunately, we won't be vacationing anywhere this year because of RAIDS
(Recently Acquired Income Deficiency Syndrome) and because we have a daughter
in college.  However, whenever I talk to someone about European travel, I
always try to mention Untours.  If you are so inclined, you might consider
doing likewise.

J. Brown