[Culturechat] the American culture war

Hal Taussig hal.taussig@untours.com
Sat, 01 Mar 2003 14:26:23 -0500

Culture chat is intended to be about the dimension of the Untour experience
which puts travelers in touch with the people whose country is being
visited. As it's founder I can speak with some authority about one
of  Idyll's central missions: the desire to bridge cultural gaps, to make
an in-depth contact with life-styles that may at first seem strange, even
sometimes weird. There is another kind of cultural gap that I want to
mention in this connection, i.e., the value gaps that have been deepening
in the United States in recent decades, escalating into what is sometimes
called an "American cultural warfare." It is ironic that recent
discussion  in culturechat about the impending Iraq war has tended to
deepen the value gulf between  those Americans who meet in this on-line
discussion group. We have tended to fan the flames of our own culture war,
and done so in the very format intended to bridge cultural gaps. I am by no
means neutral on the subject of war versus peace. In fact I feel as
strongly about the present issue as in any matter that has engaged my
energies in seventy-eight years of sometimes profound political
commitment.  But when I encounter someone who has the opposite opinion from
mine, I try to do the same thing I do when I meet a new, strange value
system in some foreign land I am visiting. I try to get inside the mind-set
of the people who adhere to this "strange" belief-system, this "odd"
behavior. I continue to encourage the need to reach out to other cultures
as an aspect of a rich travel experience. Likewise I hope that in
culturechat we can consciously demonstrate (most especially by the tone of
the language we use) an openness to values to which our first response may
well be visceral rejection.
Hal Taussig
Untours - Independent Travel With Support!
Tel.: 888-UNTOUR-1 Web: <http://www.untours.com>

Join IdyllChat, an email discussion group on European travel!
Visit: <www.untours.com/idyllchat/>

"Most Generous Company in America, 1999" awarded by Newman's
Own & George magazine. For information on the Idyll Development
Foundation, visit: <www.untours.com/idf>