[Culturechat] It's all over but the party

Vance Roy gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 13:48:30 +0100

It took almost five hours, but the CH Parliament in multiple rounds
today elected the executive branch of the government for the next four
years.

When the smoke cleared there was but one dead body to remove. It was
that of Ruth Metzler, who was to be only the second woman president of
the country next year. She was bumped off by an unholy alliance of the
far right and the far left. The three communist seats in parliament
withdrew their support for her, the center right and the far right
combined to support Herr Blocher (who won on the second vote), and Frau
metzler was left to swing in the breeze.

To top that off, Han-Rudolph Merz, a center right from Appenzell was
elected to fill the vacated seat of a retiring member of his party.
Herr Merz is a bit more right than center right, so the "magic formula'
is broken, and it remains to be seen how much difference this all will
make. I'll be surprised if it makes for a whole lot of change overall.
There are now four center right and rights against three center left
and lefts. From liberal to conservative, they stack up this way:

SP--Micheleine Calmy-Rey (the sole surviving woman Federal Councillor)
SP--Moritz Leuenberger
CVP--Joseph Deiss
FDP--Pascal Couchpin
FDP--Han-Rudolph Merz
SVP--Samuel Schmid
SVP--Christoph Blocher

Expect more emphasis on the high costs of health insurance and care,
more attempts to improve roads and traffic, more farm support, and less
emphasis on tax funded social programs,  less ease of asylum entrance
into CH, and more stringent requirements for citizenship. A consensus
of the Federal Council to join the EU is unlikely.

All the members vow to continue to remain collegiate, as has been the
case. Time will tell about that.

The address below will let you in on an interview with the new
councillor, Christoph Blocher. Look at "Blocher Says He's No Rabble
Rouser" in the list at the top.

http://www.blocher.ch/en/index.html

Vance Roy
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
http://homepage.mac.com/fredch
Nobody is perfect. I am nobody. Therefore, I am perfect.