[Culturechat] Oh Boy! What a weekend!

Hal Taussig HT@untours.com
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 17:51:57 -0400

Vance's account of the snuff contest in Dallenwil reminds me of a festival
I attended in nearby Wolfenschiessen in 1976--our first full year in
operation. I went with a small covey of Untourists when part of our
orientation was an escorted trip to a festival. (This practice still
continues in a modified form.) The festival featured a log-sawing
contest---a sawdust covered "arena" in which about four sawhorses were
placed, a log about ten foot long and one foot in diameter on each
sawhorse. A contestant on one end of the log competed only with the guy on
the other end.  They sawed the log twice, exchanging ends after the first
cutting was complete.The one who finished the second cutting first was kept
in the competition, the one who finished last was eliminated. Now, as you
might imagine, log-sawing isn't exactly a spectator sport. But for me one
particular contest was spell-binding. One of our clients was a recent
graduate of Westpoint, a big, athletic guy--who asked us if he could
participate in the contest. We approached the organizers who consented
readily to his being a contestant. When his turn came up he was paired with
a grey-haired man who smoked a pipe. (I think I remember this pipe
remaining in his mouth for the entire contest.) The Westpoint guy counted
on his strength, the Swiss man seemed to rely on his equanimity. Half way
through the first log, our American was far ahead. During the sawing of the
last half of the first  log, the American's pace began to slow. What had
seemed like a slow pace seemed less slow, though actually the pace remained
absolutely unchanged. Our guy finished ahead of the Swiss guy--but not by
much--on the first cut.. And you've guessed it. During the sawing of the
second half, the young athlete  tried to keep up by simply adding muscle,
pushing the saw harder and harder, at first just to keep up with
his  opponent> His very strength made his it begin to buckle and then to
jam on him. The Swiss  man won handily. And the Westpoint guy told me
afterward, "I was so tired, I wanted--so badly-- to quit, but seeing that
my competition was an old man, I was ashamed to do so." There are probably
several morals in the story, but the point I'm making is the same one Vance
made. The Swiss have a myriad of  fascinating aspects to their culture,
including a lot of weird contests contests. In a recent consultation I had
with the editor of "Welcome to Switzerland, " the calendar of events which
Swiss Untourists receive the day they arrive we mutually agreed that a
special emphasis on uniquely Swiss events--only somewhat less odd than
snuff-contests.