[Culturechat] U.S. Left

Kk5qq@aol.com Kk5qq@aol.com
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 10:37:01 EDT

--part1_1a9.1398f8d1.2bd7ff0d_boundary

In a message dated 4/21/2003 5:16:32 AM Central Daylight Time,=20
lauralocklin@yahoo.com writes:

> They hardly
> represent the thoughts of millions of patriotic
> citizens who are liberal and opposed to the war and
> who also support our troops who have been sent there.
>=20

Count Jane & me and most of our friends in this category.=A0 At one time=20
"conservatives" favored minimal intrusion into citizens' lives and also=20
probably were isolationists.=A0 The Republican Party of George W Bush and hi=
s=20
cabinet and soon his Supreme Court is controlled by Religious Political=20
Extremists wishing to advance their social agenda at home and driven by=20
eschatological considerations in the Middle East.

We're dismayed by the thought of Christian charitible/evangelistic=20
organizations moving into Iraq -- but must ask:=A0 Where are the Muslim=20
charities?=A0 Isn't "Alms-giving" a core pillar of the Islamic faith?=A0 Ira=
q's=20
neighboring states should be rushing in with aid, to hasten the departure of=
=20
the despised invaders from the West.

Citizens in many Islamic countries know what it's like to live under a=20
theocracy; Europe's citizens are fortunate not to have strong government=20
religious meddling in their lives.=A0 Having said that, I do realize that in=
=20
some countries the state religion is underwritten by the taxpayers.=A0 Perha=
ps=20
Vance can tell us how this works in CH cantons for people of various faith=20
systems and indeed those professing to be agnostic or atheistic.

Irv Smith
Missouri City TX

--part1_1a9.1398f8d1.2bd7ff0d_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3D3 FAMILY=3D"SCRIPT" FACE=
=3D"Comic Sans MS" LANG=3D"0">In a message dated 4/21/2003 5:16:32 AM Centra=
l Daylight Time, lauralocklin@yahoo.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"></FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000"=
 style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"A=
rial" LANG=3D"0">They hardly<BR>
represent the thoughts of millions of patriotic<BR>
citizens who are liberal and opposed to the war and<BR>
who also support our troops who have been sent there.<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D3=
 FAMILY=3D"SCRIPT" FACE=3D"Comic Sans MS" LANG=3D"0"><BR>
Count Jane &amp; me and most of our friends in this category.=A0 At one time=
 "conservatives" favored minimal intrusion into citizens' lives and also pro=
bably were isolationists.=A0 The Republican Party of George W Bush and his c=
abinet and soon his Supreme Court is controlled by Religious Political Extre=
mists wishing to advance their social agenda at home and driven by eschatolo=
gical considerations in the Middle East.<BR>
<BR>
We're dismayed by the thought of Christian charitible/evangelistic organizat=
ions moving into Iraq -- but must ask:=A0 Where are the Muslim charities?=
=A0 Isn't "Alms-giving" a core pillar of the Islamic faith?=A0 Iraq's neighb=
oring states should be rushing in with aid, to hasten the departure of the d=
espised invaders from the West.<BR>
<BR>
Citizens in many Islamic countries know what it's like to live under a theoc=
racy; Europe's citizens are fortunate not to have strong government religiou=
s meddling in their lives.=A0 Having said that, I do realize that in some co=
untries the state religion is underwritten by the taxpayers.=A0 Perhaps Vanc=
e can tell us how this works in CH cantons for people of various faith syste=
ms and indeed those professing to be agnostic or atheistic.<BR>
<BR>
Irv Smith<BR>
Missouri City TX</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #=
ffffff" SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_1a9.1398f8d1.2bd7ff0d_boundary--