[Culturechat] "you Americans" "the French

Hal Taussig HT@untours.com
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 17:44:58 -0400

I agree with Michael about the need for rational discussion--not so easy on
the subject of anti-Americanism. This subject is especially important to
those of us who sponsor (and those who participate in) international
travel. But it is vital to--perhaps the very survival of--the whole world.
I got a pile of requests for the Gareth Evans' full speech, which is
encouraging me to paste in a couple of sections of the speech here. I do so
hoping, I repeat, to stir up rational discussion about a topic that has
seemed to generate considerable hostile verbiage in this space.
Hal

 From the middle part of the speech... [after a long critique of US policy]...

Understanding from the Rest of Us. On the part of the rest of the world,
particularly America's traditional allies, what I think is first required
is a little bit more empathy, a little better understanding and
appreciation of what makes the U.S. tick, and what is driving some of the
current behaviour, and language, that upsets the rest of us so much.

The first dimension that is critical here is simply fear: raw, genuine and
realistic. For all our sympathy after 911, we sometimes forget that more
people were killed in that single attack than in all the terrorist
incidents in Israel and Ireland combined for the last 50 years, and that
there is every reason to believe that that or worse could happen again,
with ' for all the vulnerability the rest of us are feeling, not least
after Bali - the U.S. and its citizens still being overwhelmingly the most
likely targets.

Chris Patten, the European Commissioner for External Relations, has
recently made the point well:

The extent of the US trauma was not, perhaps, fully appreciated in Europe:
the sense of violation felt by a people who had believed themselves to be
invulnerable. The subsequent 'war on terrorism' has been understood in
Europe as a metaphor: a phrase to describe the myriad responses required of
the civilised world to address problems that do not allow of definitive
solutions, let alone of military ones. America, by contrast, has really
felt itself to be at war, and it is a war that has ratcheted up patriotic
sentiment to unparalleled heights.

The second thing we in the rest of the world need to remind ourselves of
are just some basic cultural differences that we need to take into account
in responding to the US, just as we like to have them taken into account in
dealing with us. A lot of the things that we, elsewhere, take to be over
the top, and reflective of hubris, or arrogance or worse, or claiming a
closer relationship with the Almighty than most of the rest of us can
manage, and which do generate a little bit of reflexive anti-Americanism at
least elsewhere in the West, are simply a matter of confusing the substance
with trappings.

U.S. public language is far more routinely and emotively 'patriotic' than
one finds elsewhere, certainly in Australia and Britain; it is also draws,
routinely, far more on religious concepts and metaphors ' including
Manichaean language of good vs. evil ' than most of the rest of us find
comfortable. We have to understand that, and live with it.

And the third thing we need to remind ourselves of, in the rest of the
world, is that a good deal of what we are minded to describe as American
behaviour is simply party political or individual behaviour, the luck for
the moment of the political draw. Though Democrat administrations have not
been immune in the past from many of the charges now being directed to this
Republican one, it is reasonable to assume that if those handful of ballot
papers had been called differently in Florida the debate about the use of
American power ' at the very least its style, if not its substance ' would
have taken a rather different course over the last two years.

The truth of the matter is that there is always tension in this country
between elements of isolationism, imperialism , internationalism-
multilateralism and unilateralism; between what Tom Friedman calls 'America
OnDuty' vs. 'America OnLine'; or between what George Soros refers to as
'the pursuit of hegemony' vs. 'the vision of global open society'. The
wheels have turned often enough in the past, and they are bound to turn
again. We should resist the temptation to resist over-dramatising what may
be just a transient phase.

Moreover, it is important to recognise that every new Administration climbs
a learning curve, and it may be that we should see the embrace by the Bush
Administration of a multilateralist route on Iraq, at least for now, and
maybe also its very realistically muted response to the recent challenge
from North Korea, as the beginning of a more fundamental and far-reaching
change of general approach

Engagement from the Rest of Us. There's another dimension necessary in the
response of the rest of the world: it's not just understanding that's
required, but engagement. If we in the rest of the world really do want to
come out from down underneath, and have a less overborne and unequal
relationship with the Big Enchilada, we have to recognise that it's up to
us to approach our relationships with the US in a mature and constructive
way - pulling our own weight in world affairs to the extent of our
capacity, helping out on the tough and necessary military tasks to the
extent of our capacity, supporting and not retreating from hard calls in
the UN when they become necessary, and generally, when we confront the
omnipresent reality of American power, being neither petulant whiners about
the iniquity of it all, nor pathetic acolytes, happy to lie on our backs
like puppy dogs with four paws waving and pink tummies exposed.

I say all this from the perspective of someone who did live and breathe all
these issues in a very practical way for nearly eight years, from 1988-96,
as the foreign minister of Australia - a country with not very much
military or economic power, which was and will certainly remain an
absolutely steadfast ally of the US (fighting alongside the US in every war
it fought last century and the beginning of this, a record shared by no one
else), but which nonetheless had (at least when my party was in
government!) a mind of its own on a great many issues and a certain
unwillingness to play the role of poodle.

...and toward the end of his speech Evans says:

Empathy and Language. I spoke before about the need for the rest of us to
work hard at understanding and empathising with the U.S. in the stresses
and challenges it faces. But that's a two way street too. Hard as it is, it
is crucial that U.S. decision makers try to put themselves in the other
guy's shoes. Paul Kennedy put the issue very well recently, writing in the
Wall Street Journal:

How do we appear to them, and what would it be like were our places in the
world reversed' ... Suppose that there existed today a powerful, unified
Arab-Muslim state that stretched from Algeria to Turkey and Arabia'as there
was 400 years ago, the Ottoman Empire. Suppose that this unified
Arab-Muslim state had the biggest economy in the world, and the most
effective military. Suppose that by contrast this United States of ours had
split into 12 or 15 countries, with different regimes, some conservative
and corrupt. Suppose that the great Arab-Muslim power had its aircraft
carriers cruising off our shores, its aircraft flying over our lands, and
paid the corrupt, conservative governments big royalties for that. Suppose
that it dominated all international institutions like the Security Council
and the IMF.

Suppose that there was a special state set up in North America fifty years
ago, of a different religion and language to ours, and the giant
Arab-Muslim power always gave it support. Suppose the colossus state was
bombarding us with cultural messages, about the status of women, about
sexuality, that we found offensive. Suppose it was always urging us to
change, to modernize, to go global, to follow its example. Hmm...in those
conditions, would not many Americans steadily grow to loath that colossus,
wish it harm' And perhaps try to harm it' I think so.'

Part of the process of putting yourself in the other guy's shoes is to use
language that you know won't cause gratuitous offence, or be
counterproductive. It's not a matter of overdoing the syrup - and in fact
there may be a bit more syrup than the market can already stand in some of
the proselytising done by the U.S. on behalf of freedom and democracy,
particularly when it comes across as the U.S. bestowing its own values upon
the benighted, rather than sharing in and advocating a common set of
universal values.

Above all what is to be avoided if at all possible is any sense of either
exceptionalism or triumphalism in the language that American leaders
employ, simply because it is so counterproductive. Heavy handedness by the
U.S. makes it much more politically difficult for leaders abroad to side
with Washington on issues like terrorism or containing Iraq. Whether it is
German anger over Kyoto or a Yemeni public backlash against a military
campaign in Iraq, or Indonesian concerns with perceived one-sidedness in
dealing with Israeli-Palestinian issues, the US needs to know that needless
triumphalism carries a direct cost.

Soft Power. Let my very last word be on the subject of 'soft power', a
concept given much attention recently in the writing of Joseph Nye in
particular. I don't think it is even now appreciated how much of the
positive influence and reputation and respect enjoyed by the U.S. in the
rest of the world flows from the belief out there that America really does
stand for a better world and is the best hope of those who want to achieve
it. As Tony Judt has recently put it, 'What gives the US its formidable
influence is not its unequalled capacity for war, but the trust of others
in its good intentions.'

AnAt 02:22 PM 4/22/03 -0400, Michael Greene wrote:
>Perhaps some of you are tired of seeing correspondents to Culturechat
>referring to "the French" or "You Americans". I am! Please if an argument
>is to be pursued please deal with factual issues and leave out "the", or
>"you". Some Americans supported the war(some more reluctantly than
>others), some did not. Some were jerks about their positions. Some arrived
>at their positions rationally. Some did not. Which of these groups
>constituted "you Americans"?
>I do not know what "the French" , or for that matter any other group of
>people, think because they like people all over the world are a diverse lot.
>Ask me however why Bush or Chirac did something and I will try to arrive
>rationally at reasons. Dispute the reasons.Leave the "name calling out"
>Thanks.

Untours - Independent Travel With Support!
Tel.: 888-UNTOUR-1 Web: <http://www.untours.com>

Join IdyllChat, an email discussion group on European travel!
Visit: <www.untours.com/idyllchat/>

"Most Generous Company in America, 1999" awarded by Newman's
Own & George magazine. For information on the Idyll Development
Foundation, visit: <www.untours.com/idf>