[Culturechat] Newsmax.com: It's True: 'Liberals' Wanted Saddam to Beat U.S.

WesTexas@aol.com WesTexas@aol.com
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 19:45:19 EDT

 Full Article:
http://www.newsmax.com/showinsidecover.shtml?a=2003/4/18/162336

Excerpt follows:

Friday, April 18, 2003
It's True: 'Liberals' Wanted Saddam to Beat U.S.

Gary Kamiya, executive editor of the left-leaning Internet journal Salon,
confirms what some Americans have suspected: Liberals were cheering for the
enemy in Iraq, the Washington Times pointed out today in an item headlined
"Cheering the enemy."

"I have a confession: I have at times, as the war has unfolded, secretly
wished for things to go wrong," Kamiya wrote. "Wished for the Iraqis to be
more nationalistic, to resist longer. Wished for the Arab world to rise up in
rage. Wished for all the things we feared would happen. I'm not alone: A
number of serious, intelligent, morally sensitive people who oppose the war
have told me they have had identical feelings."

But surely, you object, these "serious, intelligent, morally sensitive"
liberals couldn't possibly favor a mass-murdering, torture-loving dictator?
Surely they couldn't agree with "Latino studies" assistant professor Nicholas
De Genova, who told a cheering crowd of appeasement activists at Columbia
University that he "would like to see a million Mogadishus." Think again.

More dead American troops would have been preferred to the "larger moral
negative" of a victory that boosted President Bush's chances for re-election,
according to the Salon big.