[Culturechat] Someone needs to sell these folks a bridge

VCR gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Sun, 13 Apr 2003 14:05:07 +0200

  So, France isn't my favorite spot right now. Never has been, so their
stance on the war only confirms my belief.

Anyway, several weeks ago I read that there is going to be a June
meeting of the G 8 countries in Evian, France. This is from where that
water comes. Evian is across Lake Geneva from Lausanne, but it is in
France. France is a member of G 8, but CH is not. The article said that
the French government had offered to give CH 18 million CHF to help with
the cost of the G 8 meeting in Evian. The total bill for security
arrangements is going to be about 40 million CHF. With me so far?

This means that CH will be hit with a bill for about 22 million CHF for
security arrangements for a meeting on French soil, and they can't even
go to the meeting!!! Well, I didn't believe it. I checked with my
friend, Herr Britschgi, and we discussed it. His response was a bit of a
surprise. He was somewhat sheepish and gave a couple of reasons. One,
the head of the CH military is an air force guy who wants to show his
new jets off. Two, the Swiss are afraid that there will be
demonstrations in CH against the G 8. I then asked my friend, Albert,
who is a politically savvy guy the same questions. I got an almost
identical response and an admission that these were the best reasons he
could see too.  At previous G 8 meetings, there have been upwards of a
half million folks show up to protest against one thing or another.

The fact that Evian is a relatively isolated area was thought to make it
a hard place for demonstrators to come. The fact that it is close to
Geneva and only across the lake from Lausanne entered into the security
concerns of CH. Now the kantons of Geneva, Waadt, and Wallis along the
lake have asked for other kantons to furnish about 1400 police to add to
a total of about 30,000 police people to add security. In addition,
there will be a small plane ban over the lake and shores, there will be
a ban on boat traffic, there will be about 5600 soldiers along the
shores, and the sky will be patrolled by the CH military.

I can't see the French too worried. They are, in a magnanimous gesture,
going to chip in less than half the cost. Well, whoop de doo! I get to
pay CH taxes, and I ain't a bit happy about subsidizing this French tea
party. Furthermore, I just can't believe in this land of referendums and
people's initiatives, that the population is going to put up with this.
Evidently, they are, and it is blamed on apathy. I am not a bit apathetic.

Look at this way. Your neighbor comes over and says he is going to have
a party. It is at his house, but he wants you to pay for over half of
it. Oh, by the way, you can't come, and you can't influence who does
come. He does want your kids to park and watch cars (free of course).
How long would it take you to get up off the floor laughing?

I hope that I don't understand this, but my Swiss friends confirm it. If
anyone (Wes Texas are you listening?) can help me to see the rationale
of this, please do this.

Otherwise, lets get up a consortium, go to Bern, and sell the government
tickets to a Snipe hunt. They should love that. If anything, one has to
give the Chriacians great credit for being able not to laugh out loud at CH.

--
Vance Roy
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch

Autopsy, burn, and bury, you want to be sure.
Winston Churchill on hearing of the death of a political opponent.