[Culturechat] Self deliverance

Vance Roy gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 11:28:57 +0200

The subject of euthanasia is not as volatile as some such as abortion.
We are all going to die, and how we do that is out of our control for
the most part. But, is it? Call it what you wish, euthanasia, self
deliverance (my favorite), assisted suicide, etc. Some of us will never
have to decide this, if we leave this world by accident. A lot of us are
going to be faced with a choice about ending our life or that of someone
we love.

There are few places in the world where it is legal to choose for
ourselves or make a choice for others. Even in those places, the rules
and regulations are cumbersome. Suicide is illegal in most societies,
but who gets punished for it? Assisted suicide is deemed murder  in all
but a few places. Our society, by and large, ignores death. It is sad to
see a terminally ill person maintained through medical means when they
and others desire to end their misery.

There are organizations that try to circumvent the law and assist people
with voluntary death. These groups advocate active euthanasia as opposed
to passive euthanasia. The passive variety is, and has been, practiced
since time began. Pick out any hospital or any physician that has an
inpatient practice, and one can see passive euthanasia. To actively
assist someone in ending their life remains a taboo for the most part.
It is a paradox to me that we treat our animals better than our fellow
human beings.

In CH there are active organizations that promote the legalization of
the right to choose to end one's life. One of these is Dignitas. Last
year, Dignitas assisted fifty people in ending their lives. Thirty-nine
of these fifty were citizens of other countries, giving rise to the
fears of some that CH is becoming a "death tourism" site. In CH, one
cannot be prosecuted for assisting suicide unless it can be shown that
he or she had a self interest in the person's death. Dignitas is the
only organization here that offers its services to foreigners. They
arrange for barbiturates and have an apartment in Zurich where a person
can take these. Upon assuring a doctor that one has made a rational
decision to end one's life, the medication can be made available. After
death, the police are notified and, as in all suicide cases in CH, an
autopsy is performed.

One of the more controversial aspects of this type of euthanasia is that
some of these people who choose to die are mentally ill. Four of last
year's fifty persons were mentally ill. Dignitas says these people
should have the same rights as others. Belgium and Holland are the only
two other European countries that allow assisted suicide. The Belgian
parliament recently voted in favor of a proposal that states that anyone
who is physically or psychologically in constant and unbearable pain
should be allowed to end their life. Dignitas has never been prosecuted,
and their appears to be no legal grounds to allow this to happen.

With the modern medical means to promote survival in the face of no hope
of cure, one wonders if self deliverance will not be a choice that will
soon be available to all.

Vance Roy
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
http://homepage.mac.com/fredch