[Culturechat] Broom bulletin

Vance Roy gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 11:39:16 +0200

Here in the Heartland, everyone rides on the narrow gauge train line
called the Bruenigbahn. It runs from Luzern to Interlaken. Just after
passing Lungern there is a tunnel (under the mountain upon which sits
the playground and chapel). It is quite short, and on each side of both
entrance/exits there are mounted two brooms. These are made from rice
grass. Over the years many reasons for the brooms have been postulated;
to keep snow off the windows, to make sure that the rear view mirrors
are folded inward, etc. One official Swiss Guide was not able to explain
these brooms.

Now, today, we have the answer! In today's newspaper, there is an
article about the Bruenigbahn that explains this mystery. The brooms are
there in order to enforce the rule that one should not lean out the
windows. This tunnel is so narrow that head injuries would be the result
of anyone leaning out the window. The brooms would give one a swat in
the head if their head was out as the train entered.

Now the mystery is solved. A new mystery looms large. Would their be a
liability issue if someone got swatted. Not here, I think, because of
the rule that personal responsibility means that you heed what you read
on the train signs.

Vance Roy
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch