[Culturechat] The "new" Swiss National Airline

Vance Roy giglisaw@aiconnect.com
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 18:22:51 +0200

Today, the first flight of "Swiss", the Phoenix arising from the ashes
of the old SwissAir landed in Zurich. Of course there is a lot of
enthusiasm about this, but I think true to their nature, the Swiss
people will be a bit skeptical although supportive.

It is a leaner if not meaner venture. There are 130 machines flying 126
long haul routes. The USA is served through gateways in Boston, New
York, Miami, Chicago, Washington, and Los Angeles. I am uncertain if
Newark remains, but I believe it does. Atlanta, San Francisco, and
Dallas are history.

Over the next few years, there are to be new Airbuses added, and the
MD-11s are to be sent elsewhere. The watchword is to be quality, and
that spells good news for most of us who ride in "steerage" or economy
as some would call it.  For instance, glass will replace the plastic for
drinks. Wine in all classes will come out of regular size bottles, not
miniatures. There is to be proper cutlery used with meals (look out for
those of us to and from the USA, I'll bet the plastic knives will remain
for obvious reasons). New inflight entertainment consoles in economy
will come with the new Airbuses.  In any event, service and class are to
be the rule even with us peons.

Business class is to be expanded and modernized, and the twelve first
class seats will be cut to eight. The ever shrinking leg room will begin
to expand.

All this sounds great, and I expect it to come to fruition, but time
will tell. I rode over on 5 March to Boston in SwissAir on an Airbus
330. I expect to go back in early May on the same plane with possibly a
new paint job. It will be October before all paint and logo changes are
completed. I found SwissAir to be the same as far as service, etc. was
concerned, and I anticipate the Swiss flight will be the same. I think
it may be like Newport in the winter off season. People here are glad to
see you.

Vance Roy
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch