[Culturechat] A foreigner in his own country

philip king jane@mc.net
Sun, 10 Mar 2002 14:53:11 -0600

> OK, first the disclaimer. If you think me a traitor, don't bore anyone
about
> it but me.

No way!  We become blind to what we see every day (like the scratches on the
furniture), and it is instructive to see it through fresher eyes.

> I have been in USA four days now. Am I mistaken or are people a bit nicer
> each other since 9/11? It hit me between the eyes in Boston as I entered
MY
> country again after many months.

I think you're right.  I also think that it has worn a little thinner in the
months since the immediate aftermath of 9/11, and am afraid that in another
six months we may be back to "normal" in that regard.

> Funny though. I know folks over the whole USA that recycle. As some of you
> know, the Swiss are big on this. Today, we went to the grocery and asked
for
> paper instead of plastic bags. What did we get? We got paper bags filled
> with groceries AND STUFFED INTO PLASTIC BAGS!! We just laughed.

The plastic bags are also recyclable, though I don't know how efficiently.
They can be dropped into a bin at many of the big chain stores; ours are
picked up by the local recycling company.

> I'll probably write more about this. I am still learning a lot about "my
> country". If you read this as unpatriotic, so be it. I don't see it that
> way. I just realize how different things can be. It is a "culture thing",
> suppose. After all, we are still all together on the same ball.

Please write more!!

Jane