[Culturechat] A Walk through an Alpine Moor

Vance Roy gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Sat, 22 Jun 2002 17:06:06 +0200

Since we are having early summer in CH, we took a walk in an alpine moor
to stay cool. Langis is a place above Lake Sarnen at about 4200 feet
above sea level. It is an alpine moor. Many features of a low land
swamp, including swamp grass and peat are found here. In the summer,
lots of locals come here to hike from all over the area. in the winter,
it is a cross country ski Mecca. There is a stream running through the
forest here that makes an excellent spot for picnics and just plain
keeping cool. Those interested in the flora and fauna of a moor will
find plenty to interest them.

Nearby, there is a place called Schwendi Kaltbad. In ages past there was
a spa type hotel here. It burned long ago, but there is a chapel and a
rustic restaurant that serves great plain old food, including grilled
trout. In summer time, Langis is reached by twice or more daily buses
from Sarnen. Take a book and a picnic, maybe a blanket for sitting,
something to put into the brook to cool for a drink, and make a day of
it.

Pics to follow.

Vance Roy
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch