[Culturechat] A walk down from Melchsee Frutt

Vance Roy gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 16:55:25 +0200

--Apple-Mail-1--966914377

On Monday, June 17, 2002, at 06:56 PM, Vance Roy wrote:

It is warm in CH, so I decided to go up to Melchsee Frutt and take a
walk down today. It is about two hours and leads one through some
beautiful places. Today, especially beautiful because the cows have yet
to graze on the wild flowers there.

There is still snow above Frutt, so the sounds of the small river follow
one down almost all the way. This is one of the quickest hiking areas to
reach in our neck of the woods.

One goes from Sarnen up to Stoeckalp where a cable car takes you to
Frutt. It just opened last Saturday, but there were lots of hikers going
up. There is still snow on the mountain sides and some trails are still
closed. Frutt is an interesting place. It was once used to quarry
marble, and in fact, the marble used in the church in Sachseln, came
from Frutt. There was also an iron oar operation there years ago. Today,
it is a winter and summer recreation site that is not always full of
people.

The glacial grooves are an interesting feature. I am told that these
formed as a result of the recession of glaciers dragging rocks and
stones underneath them. The folding seen in the cliffs is due to that
occuring as the alps rose up while still molten. Frutt is a big
geological study area and also, a Mecca for those interested in caves.

Pictures are on the way.

Vance Roy
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch

--Apple-Mail-1--966914377

[...]