[Culturechat] Hostess Gifts -- and cultural cross wires!

Jim & Cherie Scudder scudders@hfent.com
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 22:00:48 -0400

My German friend in the next town  who considers me as one of her sisters
 we are very close) still comes for meals here and brings flowers, or
homemade jam or whatever! Yes, flowers are always 3,5, etc--uneven number
and never roses!! which are for romance. She went to Germany for 4 weeks
this past May, staying with family, friends, friends and relatives of
friends and a good chunk of her suitcase had gifts she had made to take
along.  Our German Kodak friend broght us gifts each visit over 20 years of
visits  and once he had met our 6 kids, next visits he also included them.
On one visit here, he went out of his way in 'Calif where he was touring, to
hunt up our eldest son. Our son was amazed; barely remember him, but the
German friend was only doing as he had been taught it seems!  he still
brings me and my husband a gift as does our Swiss friend who visits every
few years. You can bet I have a portion of my suitcase set aside for
remembrances for all those whom I will visit before and after our untour in
July!
Cherie Scudder