[Culturechat] Garden plots

Vance Roy gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 12:59:47 +0200

The gardens predate  WW II. It is true that during WW II, the growing of
flowers was forbidden because all available land (even parks) was used
for food production. This memory is fresh in the minds of the older
generation. I have a friend who told me that he and his family never
were starved, but that their mother might say after the meal was served
that there was no more food for that day.

One wonders if the lack of flowers and the dismal outlook toward a
german invasion, doesn't have something to do with the abundance of
flowers one now sees.

On Wednesday, June 12, 2002, at 05:34 AM, Jim & Cherie Scudder wrote:

> Roy, what truth is there to what we heard that garden plots were
> mandated
> during the war years and after so that the Swiss wouldn't have a problem
> with food that could draw them out of their neutrality by having to
> purchase
> food?  Cherie Scudder

Vance Roy
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch