[Culturechat] Garden plots

Vance Roy gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 20:23:50 +0200

--Apple-Mail-1-329073712

On Monday, June 10, 2002, at 08:00 PM, hmmcleod wrote:

Vance:  Enjoyed the info on the garden plots.  Would also be interested
in
all the wood piles we saw while in Switzerland in May.  Who cuts it; who
does it belong to; why are some of the piles dated, etc?

Thanks,  Harold

Most, if not all, of the wood you likely saw was community wood. Each
citizen of a community (has to be born there or married to a citizen)
has wood rights. that means of the wood cut by the community (you can't
just run out and cut a tree down, it must be approved by a forester),
they have the right to a portion of it. I don't think it is to be for
sale, but I can't say for sure.

The wood is cut and stacked to cure. Then it may be obtained by citizens
for their use. In some communities above the tree line, there are peat
cutting rights, such as in Andermatt.

Vance Roy
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch

--Apple-Mail-1-329073712

Vance:  Enjoyed the info on the garden plots.  Would also be
interested in

all the wood piles we saw while in Switzerland in May.  Who cuts it;
who

does it belong to; why are some of the piles dated, etc?

Thanks,  Harold

</color>