[Culturechat] An End to Growth?

Kraut907@aol.com Kraut907@aol.com
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 22:54:02 EDT

My daughter lived in Little Rock,Ar, for ten years, in a nice house in a nic
subdivision, and I visited quite a few times. The first thing I noticed ws
that there was no way to get downtown or even to a supermarket without a
car.There was absolutely no public transportation anywhere near, except for
school buses.
Every family owned several cars, and they were a necessity.
The lack of transportation is not so crass here in the Washington area; and
often a car just saves a lot of time and shelter from the elements if one
would have to walk to a bus or train.
In the CH and Germany, the countries where I have personal knowledge, every
little hamlet is connected to the world by bus or train. People don't mind to
walk a bit to catch the public transport (as a nice bonus, they are not as
chubby as people here).