[Culturechat] An End to Growth?

Vance Roy gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 12:17:04 +0200

--Apple-Mail-1--218531917

On Sunday, June 2, 2002, at 10:29 PM, WesTexas@aol.com wrote:

> This is a little unusual, but it is a very important topic.=A0 The=20
> Hubbert Curve predicts that worldwide oil production will peak this=20
> decade and then go into a terminal decline from which it will never=20
> recover.=A0=A0

Every time that I come back to CH after a stay in the USA, I have some=20=

of the same feelings. Now, don't get me wrong, there are traffic jams in=20=

CH, but you have to go looking for them. In the USA, it is evident that=20=

at least the interstate system is full. The solution seems to be to=20
build more roads. This takes time, and no one is going to catch up.

Today in CH, gasoline is $3.53 per gallon (took 1.38 CHF per liter and=20=

extrapolated to US$). There are still plenty of cars, but a car here is=20=

a luxury in that you can make your own schedule. There are few places=20
outside of urban America where a car can't be called anything but a=20
requirement. When gasoline hits $10 a gallon in the USA, long before=20
that I will have junked my car here.

What will happen to the broad expanses of expressway, huge parking=20
garages, and large parking lots? What use will be found for them? What=20=

will be the substitute for transport while the scramble is on to get=20
some sort of mass transit system in place, and how long will that take?

Better yet, what sort of government will there be in the USA? When gas=20=

hits $10 a gallon will there be insurrection? You can bet your bippy=20
that there will be no politicians around.

> Vance Roy
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch

--Apple-Mail-1--218531917